Hatching refrigerated eggs

Simimaus

Songster
Jan 3, 2020
Prairie Grove
Hello, Im new to chickens . Since last spring I have 2 Easter eggerrs, one silver laced Wyandotte and one Australorp, one Silkie hen and 2 Silkie roosters.
A couple weeks before Christmas my Silkie girl went brooody. The only eggs I had from her were in fridge. I got them out ( 7 eggs) and brought them to room temperature and put them under her. Today, 20 days later I have 5 hatched babies, one still hatching. Hopefully the last egg will hatch too. That would be 100 % success rate. I just hope it won’t get too cold. After all it’s beginning of January in nw Arkansas. Got 2 heating lights in 8x10 coop

That is awesome!!

X2 on the heat lamp warning.

Be sure you do NOT trust the silly pinch clamp they come with.

I strongly suggest using chains to hang them.

You likely only need one lamp so you don't overheat the birds that are grown.

View recent photos.png

Wow that's really neat! Didn't know refrigerated eggs still had a chance. Cool to know! (Not that I plan to refrigerate my eggs but still good knowledge)

Update: at 3 weeks old we list 4 of the 7 babies due to a freak accident (not because of heat lights). The remaining 3 babies are now 10 weeks old and and so sweat. Brownie did an amazing job hatching her eggs and raising her babids. The black roo in my profile picture is the daddy, but the white roo is the “acting daddy”. He brings them food and if they get scared they hide under him. So cute.
64FA41F7-F298-4DA9-BE2C-7D85081B0BC0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom