hatching shipped BCM eggs, PIC heavy. HATCHING started 9/25!!!!

Candling results on Day 8

We didn't toss anything but found some that look to be either infertile or early quitters, one that looked like a blood ring and two of the darkest eggs that had just dark masses in them (could those be scrambled yolks?). We are going to candle again at 10 or 12 days and confirm.

*R* eggs 1-16, percent fertile 44%
1 fertile
2 fertile
3 fertile
4 ?
5 ?
6 fertile
7 ?
8 fertile
9 ?
10 ? Blood ring?
11 ?
12 fertile
13 fertile
14 ?
15 ?
16 ?

*D* eggs 17-24, percent fertile 63%
17 fertile
18 fertile
19 fertile
20 ?
21 ?
22 fertile
23 ?, dark mass
24 fertile

*J* eggs 25-31, percent fertile 43%
25 ?
26 fertile
27 on day 2 accidently cracked, sealed with wax. ?? dark mass
28 ?
29 ?
30 fertile
31 fertile

somewhat disappointing as we have gotten used to MUCH better % but this IS our first hatch with shipped eggs and being marans and (some) so dark there are some we might thing are ? and could be fertile, i guess. I am happy we at least seem to have some fertile from each of the shipments.
clap.gif

This morning when I was turning i noticed egg #27 was weeping a yellowish liquid!! OH NO!!! not unexpected but ewwwww!
sickbyc.gif
sure glad I saw it when i did. Pulled it out right away and tossed it.
I was wondering what a weeping egg looked like, hoping i wouldn't find out first hand. OH well, at least now I know what to look for.

Came home after having been out most of the day today. Found another weeping egg!
hit.gif
Luckily, I was able to get it before explosion. It was egg #28. May candle again tomorrow (day 10) to check the ones we were unsure about, esp after the couple weeping eggs.

oh, i forgot to welcome everyone!
frow.gif
YAY! so happy to have some buddies!
wee.gif

19Dawn76 - what breeds do you have? Our own babies give us a very nice mix, I've hatched a few batches, it's fun to see what hatches out!

new2chooks- Welcome! will you be hatching soon? what are you planning on filling your bator with??

KDbeads - can you post a pic of the divider? not sure I know what you are talking about but it sounds like it would work great. Now that I'll have the third bator I will only need to divide for two of them and put the third group in the other bator. How are yours looking? have you candled since the 9th?

justmeandtheflock - silkies! yay! they are just sooo cute. did you candle again? results? are your shipped to or from your flock?

MAllen - how did you hatch turn out? any pics??

PortageGirl - glad to have you along! How are your babies doing?

Quote:
I'll candle again on the 16th, then again on the 20th right before lockdown. I candle in the evenings. Trying to keep my hands off them
wink.png
Though I did forget to turn them yesterday, was so busy catching up the laundry and dealing with kitten it just totally slipped my mind. Not that I have much of a mind left anymore
he.gif

Shelf thingy:
http://www.organizeit.com/polm-adjustshelf.asp?rtnFile=lockeracc&rtnDisplay=Locker+Organizers
Look in the thrift stores, you can usually find a few for dirt cheap

Quote:
I'll candle again on the 16th, then again on the 20th right before lockdown. I candle in the evenings. Trying to keep my hands off them
wink.png
Though I did forget to turn them yesterday, was so busy catching up the laundry and dealing with kitten it just totally slipped my mind. Not that I have much of a mind left anymore
he.gif

Shelf thingy:
http://www.organizeit.com/polm-adjustshelf.asp?rtnFile=lockeracc&rtnDisplay=Locker+Organizers
Look in the thrift stores, you can usually find a few for dirt cheap

Ok I think I see what you mean...that's actually a plastic version of what we were discussing making out of wire. Are you putting the eggs under it? It looks like it's only 1 1/2 inches tall is that tall enough for them to hatch out in? Guess I should get a ruler and measure the height of the bator.

if it makes you feel better I feel asleep and forgot to turn Friday night.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom