Hatching!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
I'm really not sure on the sex of them. I keep going back and forth. The black dot on there bill made me think male. But then read that it can disappear. Welsh's color verys so greatly it's hard to tell. They are almost 4 weeks old now. And are out in the fully enclosed nursery pen right now. The older ducks can see them but not get to them. The ducklings that hatched second. And was malpositon and dit absorbed fully. Looks to have some problem like scoliosis. I discussed it with a few people on another post. Every thing else is going smoothly. Other ducks are curious but not aggressive. So I think they will transition into the flock well.
20180619_195126.jpg
20180619_195330.jpg
20180619_200822(0).jpg

I'm really not sure on the sex of them. I keep going back and forth. The black dot on there bill made me think male. But then read that it can disappear. Welsh's color verys so greatly it's hard to tell. They are almost 4 weeks old now. And are out in the fully enclosed nursery pen right now. The older ducks can see them but not get to them. The ducklings that hatched second. And was malpositon and dit absorbed fully. Looks to have some problem like scoliosis. I discussed it with a few people on another post. Every thing else is going smoothly. Other ducks are curious but not aggressive. So I think they will transition into the flock well. View attachment 1440423 View attachment 1440425 View attachment 1440426

Welshies can be sexed with about 70 to 90 percent accuracy by beak color at hatch, depending on what lines they're from. It only works for a couple days though, because then all their bills darken up. Females will have just a spot of black at the end. Males will be all black.

Welshies can be sexed with about 70 to 90 percent accuracy by beak color at hatch, depending on what lines they're from. It only works for a couple days though, because then all their bills darken up. Females will have just a spot of black at the end. Males will be all black.

Thanks for clarifying!

I knew all this about the first few days after hatching. And they were a blue green bill just after hatching. So I figured male. Then I tried vent sexing. Never looked like they were male that way so I was hopeful that they were female and the bill color was just wrong. But now the bill is getting lighter in color and has a black dot on the tip. Which is exactly what my adult male looks like. My adult female has a dark, blueish huge black color bill.

I'm really not sure on the sex of them. I keep going back and forth. The black dot on there bill made me think male. But then read that it can disappear. Welsh's color verys so greatly it's hard to tell. They are almost 4 weeks old now. And are out in the fully enclosed nursery pen right now. The older ducks can see them but not get to them. The ducklings that hatched second. And was malpositon and dit absorbed fully. Looks to have some problem like scoliosis. I discussed it with a few people on another post. Every thing else is going smoothly. Other ducks are curious but not aggressive. So I think they will transition into the flock well. View attachment 1440423 View attachment 1440425 View attachment 1440426
Oh my. Love how you decorated the little coop. Is it a prefab?
Your ducklings are adorable!

Oh my. Love how you decorated the little coop. Is it a prefab?
Your ducklings are adorable!
Thank you, yes it was a clearance pre fab. It was missing a box of parts so I got it for $12. Turned out to be missing the pin side of the unit. So we just cut the legs off and sat it on the ground of the run. My children and me had fun painting it.

Back
Top Bottom