Have a 6 month leghorn waddles are turning orange?

RedfogsFlock

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Wittmann, AZ
So we have a small leghorn, realized she is a he when he started getting spurs before anything else. It's been about a week now, I noticed he wasn't roosting with the others. Instead he sleeps out of their nesting room on top of the feeder. He gets cold at night, and by morning he moves extremely slow. He even comes to me to be picked up and brought in the house to warm up. Last night I noticed his comb is pretty much red, but at the base it's turning orange. Then this morning his waddles under his chin are an even more pale orange.

He's very tame and sweet! Waaaaay nicer than my leghorn roo now! He eats fine, and all just won't roost with the others, and is turning orange.

Maybe the reason he's not roosting is because of the other roo? as far as his wattles and comb, maybe the cold has something to do with it. If hes eating, drinking and walking around with out trouble that could be it, hopefully someone with more wisdom will chime in.

Well we went out and found him extremely listless! So my hubby picked up his head & he wouldn't even open his eyes. So hubby put him in the sun because it helped the last two days, and went back to check him later. Well he ended up dying.

His comb & wattles didn't have any color to them by midday. His legs were ice cold too. So we can only assume it was a circulation problem because no one else is sick.

We thought at first he may be kept from roosting because of the other roo's. Well that wasn't the case either because we got rid of all the other roo's two days before. It was meant to be i guess.

I have read alot about roosters and heart problems, I am so sorry for your loss, Everytime we lose one it's just a little more that we learn and hopefully will help the next time, because most likely there will be a next time, Hope you'll just hug your others a little closer. Blessing,

Back
Top Bottom