Have a bad feeling. Day 21 nothing.

Do you have extra calibrated thermometers to make sure your incubator was the right temps? If they were low it could be a couple more days.
Did you ever candle to make sure they were fertile?
Thank you for replying, yes we bought an external one that we placed on top of the incubator, and fed the wired prong into the incubator. It was always pretty accurate just .2 of a degree off here or there but nothing crazy. The thing is as we knew humidity was a major factor we decided that on lockdown day we would put the whole unit inside the incubator with the eggs so that it would measure the humidity too . I couldn’t do that from outside the incubator. THATS when I started realising temp reading much lower but nothing has changed. We didn’t do anything different aside putting the unit inside the incubator and not just the prong. So I’m really unsure what’s going on. We candied them every few days and saw def life.

If temp is accurate most hatching should occur, appropriately, the same time of day and day of the week then went in. If you put yours in May 4, Wednesday, in the am then you’ll be looking at a Wednesday morning hatch. There is obviously a ton of variables here but I always consider this when planning hatches (because I love to watch the hatching). I’ve also used it to my advantage to do hatches with groups. I’ve had one zip and hatch during a Girl Scout meeting. Same this but with a homeschool co-op. With enough eggs set (couple dozen) one chick has always come through.

Thank you for replying, yes we bought an external one that we placed on top of the incubator, and fed the wired prong into the incubator. It was always pretty accurate just .2 of a degree off here or there but nothing crazy. The thing is as we knew humidity was a major factor we decided that on lockdown day we would put the whole unit inside the incubator with the eggs so that it would measure the humidity too . I couldn’t do that from outside the incubator. THATS when I started realising temp reading much lower but nothing has changed. We didn’t do anything different aside putting the unit inside the incubator and not just the prong. So I’m really unsure what’s going on. We candied them every few days and saw def life.
If the temperature was lower then it will take a couple more days for them to hatch.

If temp is accurate most hatching should occur, appropriately, the same time of day and day of the week then went in. If you put yours in May 4, Wednesday, in the am then you’ll be looking at a Wednesday morning hatch. There is obviously a ton of variables here but I always consider this when planning hatches (because I love to watch the hatching). I’ve also used it to my advantage to do hatches with groups. I’ve had one zip and hatch during a Girl Scout meeting. Same this but with a homeschool co-op. With enough eggs set (couple dozen) one chick has always come through.
Yes that does make total sense. This too has been part of our home education lessons. The kids are so excited, they have kept me grounded in this experience. With my eldest giving me a cuddle and letting me know “that even in nature things do not turn out as expected” on a happier note I THINK I saw two of them rumble a bit. I say THINK because well this experience has driven me a bit barmy so I MAY have THOUGHT I saw them jiggle a little. I’ve been having my nose pressed against the darn glass for so many days my eyes have gone crossed 😧

Good to know I may be a day off so the panic is starting to go down a bit. Thank you! Will keep you all posted on what transpires!

You’re doing great! The best advice I’ve received is “hatching isn’t for the faint of heart”. This is the most important, and most difficult, time to sit back and watch. Every minute they’re in the egg the chicks are developing. Even after they pip they are still absorbing blood, yolk, and intestines.

A reminder: typical timeline for chickens includes 24 hours from internal pip to external pip. Then another 24 hours from external pip to zip. Edit: I should have said “up to 24 hours”. Some do hatch significantly faster than that.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 693E9125-4F9C-4E08-80B0-404EFC03CA67.jpeg
    693E9125-4F9C-4E08-80B0-404EFC03CA67.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 5
Does anyone know if the membrane looks ok? Humidity is at 77 currently? None of the others have pip’s either. Just this little one.

Attachments

• 19346A75-1E4D-43D7-8FFD-AB73FBB34088.jpeg
    19346A75-1E4D-43D7-8FFD-AB73FBB34088.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 5
Does anyone know if the membrane looks ok? Humidity is at 77 currently? None of the others have pip’s either. Just this little one.
It looks fine so far.
Hatches usually go like this: 1 or 2 hatch one day, then most of the eggs hatch, and then 1 or 2 stragglers the next day.
Everything looks good so far! :)

Back
Top Bottom