Have a bad feeling. Day 21 nothing.

May 20, 2022
Good morning everyone.
We have 5 eggs that made it to today -day 21

We have nothing, no rocking, no pip, no chirp. We had an incident on day 17 where my little girl accidentally unplugged the incubator but we realised pretty quickly (I’d say 20-30mins) and the egg were not cold to the touch. We cancelled them right before lock down and all were still showing signs of life. Fast forward to today. We still have nothing.

It’s starting to worry me. Yesterday I fell asleep on the table next to the incubator 😩. I know pathetic but I can’t stop thinking about them and I’m getting worried.

The eggs are off a farm, instead of consuming we decided to try to hatch them. 3-4 day of room temp before incubator.
We fired up the incubator a whole day before and placed them in on May 4th 8am
Am I correct with dates ? Should I candle quickly to see if the air cells have gotten bigger since lockdown. I don’t know what to do it’s driving me crazy.

Attachments

• 693E9125-4F9C-4E08-80B0-404EFC03CA67.jpeg
    693E9125-4F9C-4E08-80B0-404EFC03CA67.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for the links I will look at the links . This is all so new I’ve tried to cram as much knowledge in these last 21 days as possible. Reading everything and anything I can every day to prepare yet I still feel clueless and unsure ugh 😩. But thank you I’ll try to wait it out 😣
Candle one or two to see if you see movement.
Just be quick and steady and do it in a dark room.
30 minutes of the incubator cooling down is not going to make a break the deal.
I had my electricity go out for hours before and it didn't affect the hatch.

If these are chicken eggs, and you started incubating 5/4, your hatch day is tomorrow, 5/25. You should start to hear some cheeping and see pips possibly this evening. I’m sure they’re fine. This is the most important time to leave them alone and not rush things.

Their time in the counter and the incubator being shut off for a few minutes will not affect hatching.

It can take a bit longer than only 21 days, that's just an estimated time on how long they usually take. It can take them some more time to get ready and absorb all of the yolk. Don't candle them or open the incubator after lock down, that can be fatal to the chicks. Just wait it out for another couple of hours - 3 days, then check to see if they're doing okay. If there is still no signs of life 3 days after day 21, they might've passed or are having trouble hatching.

CLICK AND READ ME!

.....AND ME!!!!

If temp is accurate most hatching should occur, appropriately, the same time of day and day of the week then went in. If you put yours in May 4, Wednesday, in the am then you’ll be looking at a Wednesday morning hatch. There is obviously a ton of variables here but I always consider this when planning hatches (because I love to watch the hatching). I’ve also used it to my advantage to do hatches with groups. I’ve had one zip and hatch during a Girl Scout meeting. Same this but with a homeschool co-op. With enough eggs set (couple dozen) one chick has always come through.

If temp is accurate most hatching should occur, appropriately, the same time of day and day of the week then went in. If you put yours in May 4, Wednesday, in the am then you’ll be looking at a Wednesday morning hatch. There is obviously a ton of variables here but I always consider this when planning hatches (because I love to watch the hatching). I’ve also used it to my advantage to do hatches with groups. I’ve had one zip and hatch during a Girl Scout meeting. Same this but with a homeschool co-op. With enough eggs set (couple dozen) one chick has always come through.
Yes that does make total sense. This too has been part of our home education lessons. The kids are so excited, they have kept me grounded in this experience. With my eldest giving me a cuddle and letting me know “that even in nature things do not turn out as expected” on a happier note I THINK I saw two of them rumble a bit. I say THINK because well this experience has driven me a bit barmy so I MAY have THOUGHT I saw them jiggle a little. I’ve been having my nose pressed against the darn glass for so many days my eyes have gone crossed 😧

Good to know I may be a day off so the panic is starting to go down a bit. Thank you! Will keep you all posted on what transpires!

Back
Top Bottom