Have a bad feeling. Day 21 nothing.

May 20, 2022
Good morning everyone.
We have 5 eggs that made it to today -day 21

We have nothing, no rocking, no pip, no chirp. We had an incident on day 17 where my little girl accidentally unplugged the incubator but we realised pretty quickly (I’d say 20-30mins) and the egg were not cold to the touch. We cancelled them right before lock down and all were still showing signs of life. Fast forward to today. We still have nothing.

It’s starting to worry me. Yesterday I fell asleep on the table next to the incubator 😩. I know pathetic but I can’t stop thinking about them and I’m getting worried.

The eggs are off a farm, instead of consuming we decided to try to hatch them. 3-4 day of room temp before incubator.
We fired up the incubator a whole day before and placed them in on May 4th 8am
Am I correct with dates ? Should I candle quickly to see if the air cells have gotten bigger since lockdown. I don’t know what to do it’s driving me crazy.

It can take a bit longer than only 21 days, that's just an estimated time on how long they usually take. It can take them some more time to get ready and absorb all of the yolk. Don't candle them or open the incubator after lock down, that can be fatal to the chicks. Just wait it out for another couple of hours - 3 days, then check to see if they're doing okay. If there is still no signs of life 3 days after day 21, they might've passed or are having trouble hatching.

CLICK AND READ ME!

.....AND ME!!!!

Good morning everyone.
We have 5 eggs that made it to today -day 21

We have nothing, no rocking, no pip, no chirp. We had an incident on day 17 where my little girl accidentally unplugged the incubator but we realised pretty quickly (I’d say 20-30mins) and the egg were not cold to the touch. We cancelled them right before lock down and all were still showing signs of life. Fast forward to today. We still have nothing.

It’s starting to worry me. Yesterday I fell asleep on the table next to the incubator 😩. I know pathetic but I can’t stop thinking about them and I’m getting worried.

The eggs are off a farm, instead of consuming we decided to try to hatch them. 3-4 day of room temp before incubator.
We fired up the incubator a whole day before and placed them in on May 4th 8am
Am I correct with dates ? Should I candle quickly to see if the air cells have gotten bigger since lockdown. I don’t know what to do it’s driving me crazy.
Do you have extra calibrated thermometers to make sure your incubator was the right temps? If they were low it could be a couple more days.
Did you ever candle to make sure they were fertile?

If these are chicken eggs, and you started incubating 5/4, your hatch day is tomorrow, 5/25. You should start to hear some cheeping and see pips possibly this evening. I’m sure they’re fine. This is the most important time to leave them alone and not rush things.

Their time in the counter and the incubator being shut off for a few minutes will not affect hatching.

It can take a bit longer than only 21 days, that's just an estimated time on how long they usually take. It can take them some more time to get ready and absorb all of the yolk. Don't candle them or open the incubator after lock down, that can be fatal to the chicks. Just wait it out for another couple of hours - 3 days, then check to see if they're doing okay. If there is still no signs of life 3 days after day 21, they might've passed or are having trouble hatching.

CLICK AND READ ME!

.....AND ME!!!!
Thanks for the links I will look at the links . This is all so new I’ve tried to cram as much knowledge in these last 21 days as possible. Reading everything and anything I can every day to prepare yet I still feel clueless and unsure ugh 😩. But thank you I’ll try to wait it out 😣

Thanks for the links I will look at the links . This is all so new I’ve tried to cram as much knowledge in these last 21 days as possible. Reading everything and anything I can every day to prepare yet I still feel clueless and unsure ugh 😩. But thank you I’ll try to wait it out 😣
Candle one or two to see if you see movement.
Just be quick and steady and do it in a dark room.
30 minutes of the incubator cooling down is not going to make a break the deal.
I had my electricity go out for hours before and it didn't affect the hatch.

Do you have extra calibrated thermometers to make sure your incubator was the right temps? If they were low it could be a couple more days.
Did you ever candle to make sure they were fertile?
Thank you for replying, yes we bought an external one that we placed on top of the incubator, and fed the wired prong into the incubator. It was always pretty accurate just .2 of a degree off here or there but nothing crazy. The thing is as we knew humidity was a major factor we decided that on lockdown day we would put the whole unit inside the incubator with the eggs so that it would measure the humidity too . I couldn’t do that from outside the incubator. THATS when I started realising temp reading much lower but nothing has changed. We didn’t do anything different aside putting the unit inside the incubator and not just the prong. So I’m really unsure what’s going on. We candied them every few days and saw def life. I’m almost certain I saw a chick foot in one on day 18 which was the last day I candled them. They were initially 6 but one died at day 3-4 so it was removed on day 10.
Thanks

Candle one or two to see if you see movement.
Just be quick and steady and do it in a dark room.
30 minutes of the incubator cooling down is not going to make a break the deal.
I had my electricity go out for hours before and it didn't affect the hatch.
I didn’t know that! Thank you I may just do that tonight if there no pipping. As they were only 5 I always candled at record speed. Ever too more than 5-10 mins at most. So it’s so good to know as my daughter is really worried she killed them 😢🥺. But thank you for that! Def reassuring and appreciated!

If these are chicken eggs, and you started incubating 5/4, your hatch day is tomorrow, 5/25. You should start to hear some cheeping and see pips possibly this evening. I’m sure they’re fine. This is the most important time to leave them alone and not rush things.

Their time in the counter and the incubator being shut off for a few minutes will not affect hatching.
That’s what I was hoping! We were reading so many conflicting info about what to consider as day 1. Some people were saying if they are in at morning than consider it day 1, others were saying if it was done in the evening consider it day 0 and 1 the next day. So thank you that’s hopeful then! 😫

Back
Top Bottom