Have to kill all my chickens tomorrow!

Pics
I live in the mountains of NC, very seclude. About a month ago my chickens started getting sick. Respiratory infection. Treated
with sulphur drug prescribed by Vet, didn’t work. Lost a hen and took to state for necropsy. Got a call this afternoon and I’m under quarantine and I have to kill all my babies!! I’m so upset, don’t know what to do! They have Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. Very contagious, the state is sending a rep tomorrow morning to have me sign papers stating that I won’t remove chickens from my property.
I haven’t had anyone with chickens at my home or introduced any new chickens to my flock for five months. WHAT HAPPENED, I‘M DEVISTATED, 😢
I’m sooo sorry!!

You and all of your flock do not deserve this, to lose just one bird was hard I’m sure,but to realize after that chickens death that you would have to lose them all must be devastating, and to say the least, shocking. As I see this, it’s a cold and awful thing, but maybe it isn’t actually a step away from a positive future. maybe it’s a step closer to a future where a new flock will impact you in such a positive way as these birds did. Many of my friends know how much I put into caring forand loving my chickens, but they don’t know why I do, and they don’t understand. To them it’s a simple hobby of which I’ve taken up, But it’s not that. As you, and everyone else on BYC knows, chickens aren’t an object that can be tossed away and forgotten. They are friends, family, pets, and maybe the support you find in difficult times. As you say culling them is your chosen option, I respet that you are Taking them into account before yourself. It’s very difficult to accept paths such as that, but it’s what shows your love and devotion to the welfare of your flock. Not only that, but also for the sake of wildlife and other flocks that you could potentially spread it to. Decisions like this are hard I’m sure, but it could be the first step in helping the lives of other chickens in your future flocks

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
My birds and I send you love :hugs

I live in the mountains of NC, very seclude. About a month ago my chickens started getting sick. Respiratory infection. Treated
with sulphur drug prescribed by Vet, didn’t work. Lost a hen and took to state for necropsy. Got a call this afternoon and I’m under quarantine and I have to kill all my babies!! I’m so upset, don’t know what to do! They have Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. Very contagious, the state is sending a rep tomorrow morning to have me sign papers stating that I won’t remove chickens from my property.
I haven’t had anyone with chickens at my home or introduced any new chickens to my flock for five months. WHAT HAPPENED, I‘M DEVISTATED, 😢
Omg. I'm sorry. :barnie

Sigh. Has the, er, elimination event taken place? Who does the actual culling, you or an agent? What happens to the bodies of the culled birds, do they take them away? Are you reimbursed for the value of the birds? How long must you wait before you can sanitize the coop and run and re-populate with new chicks or birds? Will you get birds from a different source? What additional precautions will you take to keep this from happening again? I am heartsick over this. I hope you are able to start again and can sanitize the area completely! Best wishes for a successful outcome! ❤❤❤

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom