Have you ever forgotten…

HHandbasket

The Chickeneer
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
El Dorado County, California
… that you had eggs in the bator & that it's time for them to hatch?

I have done so many hatches this year, I have lost track. This morning, DH and I awoke to chirping sounds & we looked at each other and said, "Um, we don't have any chicks in the house...." (remembering that we have put all the inside chicks in outdoor brooders now)

We have hatchlings in the bator. LOL.

We remembered a couple of days ago because I put them in lockdown, but we've been busy the last few days & my mind has been more on the chickens in the yard & trying to keep them cool in this sudden heat (no spring in northern California this year--we went straight from snow/winter into 100-degree heat, with about 8 or 9 days of spring-like weather in between but that was all). Totally forgot today was day 21. We even looked in and saw a pip yesterday but totally forgot.

I think it's time to be done for the year … until I get my heritage breed eggs in the fall.

Last edited:
I wish I could forget until I heard peeping! Then I wouldnt be waiting impatiently
tongue.png
n

Last edited:
You know, this is the first time I've EVER forgotten. I'm forever staring at the bator like nonstop from days 18-21 … I totally forgot this time. I didn't have to turn them anymore, so I guess I was just so distracted that I let them hatch on their own.

As of right now, we have 2 out, 1 pipped and about 3/4 zipped, and one more that has barely pipped. There are 3 that haven't pipped yet (only 7 made it to lockdown).

This is the first time I've hatched eggs from my own chickens in the house. I've let Olga hatch them out in the henhouse, but I never hatched any of our eggs in the bator. Sweet!

congratualtions.gif
jumpy.gif
ya.gif
thumbsup.gif

I have never forgotten. My husband calls me obsessive, a hatch-a-holic. I have Ringneck Pheasants hatching right now and tomorrow I have chicken eggs going into lock down.

Back
Top Bottom