Have you ever pecked a chicken???

chickaddict

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Bristol
I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but today I pecked a chicken.

Someone in the coop is a highly abusive girl. Two of my girls are missing feathers every single morning. It's winter in CT and they need every feather they can get.

So..............................

today, after I closed the coop door I hid outside and waited.....and peeked......and waited until the squaking started.

And lo and behold the offending hen is..........Madge. I should of known it was her ( I named her after my stepmother for a reason) she was methodically ripping the feathers out of anyone that was in front of her on the roost.

So using the index finger on my right hand I pecked her all the way back to the last position on the roost. It must have worked because she is still in the spot I put her in and this happened around 4:30.

So, yes, I'm almost ashamed to admit it. But today I pecked a chicken!!!!!!

I have chased off aggressors.Never thought about pecking. I have waited and watched too. If it wasn't for the pecking order I would totally enjoy keeping hens.

I can't have a rooster so I had to try somethng. Today was the first morning in weeks that the coop floor wasn't covered in feathers.

And no, I would never hurt one of my girls - but something had to be done. She was hurting too many others. I didn't hurt her at all, but I probably embarrased the heck out of her.

Quote:
Let's hope so!

Actually, I'd love to hear whether it seems to have worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I admit it, I have also pecked a chicken! Or two.

When I am hand-feeding treats to them, and an aggressor keeps another away, I reach over and thunk her (or him) with my forefinger, right on the back of the head where chickens usually peck others. And when the chicken does it again, I "peck" twice.

I also do it if a chicken pecks harder than necessary to get the treats, or in another spot, as it it was being demanding.

They get the point.

Quote:
gig.gif

Hehe... kinda like in Snow Dogs when the Doc bites the dog's ear?

Least this way you don't get a mouthful of fur and god knows what else.

My girls aren't aggressive THANK GOODNESS, but I have been known to "scoop kick" them out of my way so I can get IN the coop... scoop kick is what I taught my soccer players (coached for the Y)... where you get your toe (or in this case foot) under and give a little boost... NOT actually a kick, but it gets the ball... or hen... moving just a little.

I thought, for a minute, you were actually saying that you bit her. Now, I see what you meant and think it's kinda funny, but the right thing to do. Afterall, you are the alpha chicken and it's your right to "peck" her and put her in her place.

Quote:
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HONESTY!!!!!!

I was beginning to think I was evil or something. I really had to do something - one of my RIR has no head feathers - one of my BO has half a wing, and I have an EE with no back neck feathers.
No sneezing so far, but I'm very worried about them.

Back
Top Bottom