Have you given up your flock because of neighborhood predators?

As long as a BB gun is not powerful enough to break the skin, no one will ever know except the dog. Just make sure to not hit him in the eye. Or let anyone see you shoot him.

It would fall under animal abuse in most states. BB guns can vary greatly in terms of power and where pellet / BB impacts can interact with damage produced.

So, you can legally kill, but not hurt, a dog that's attacking your birds? That's a stupid law. A dead dog can't learn.

As long as a BB gun is not powerful enough to break the skin, no one will ever know except the dog. Just make sure to not hit him in the eye. Or let anyone see you shoot him.

That's what I was thinking. Shoot him in the rump from a window or behind a door or something.

I think the rule is to prevent costly litigation stemming from vet bills for an injured dog. Generally, dead dogs do not require veterinary services that will be recognized in court. Well being of dog does not appear to be a major concern of law makers.

I think the rule is to prevent costly litigation stemming from vet bills for an injured dog. Generally, dead dogs do not require veterinary services that will be recognized in court. Well being of dog does not appear to be a major concern of law makers.

Hmm, I thought I read somewhere that if you shoot a dog in defense of your livestock that are not responsible for any medical bills. After all not all shot dogs end up dead. Maybe it varies by state?

Those would not stop dogs I have dealt with. The dogs would run into them to push them and / or make them collapse. Not much in the way of hotwire would make them much harder to break into.

Sturdier than they look, you'd be surprised. Welded Wire of the gazebo is 8 gauge 2× 4 openings and covered in a 2nd layer of 16 gauge coated 1/2 inch mesh zip tied on, very heavy once finished, and roof covered in 1 inch mesh under the cover too and zip tied to the roof supports. A bear could probably get in but I doubt any dog ever will. It's 7 feet tall and 7.5 feet wide and way too sturdy to collapse in any way. Even without the added layers i put on, it is a 5 star product on amazon for people with big dogs. Some other kennels are made in 10 gauge which do get broken into more because that is thinner.
What i add under the roof:
20170605_110130_Film1.jpg

If you want to keep your birds, an electric fence IS an option. Probably your best one. All the problems you have encountered go away once those dogs get whacked by an electric fence. As is, they have nothing to lose.....and oh so much fun! But with a fence.........they will not be coming back. I understand the concern with kids, but don't be. I have a 3 year old grandson who co-exists with the fence all the time. If it is a real concern, turn it off when they are around, and turn it on when the dogs are a threat. Once those dogs have been popped a few times, you really don't need it on all the time anyway. It also helps keep the birds inside a small yard.
BTW, do I know anyone who gave up? Yes.......my mother. That was about 60 years ago. When I got birds she told me not to bother........I'd lose them all to coons and such. To date, I've not lost a single bird. But I protect them with an electric fence. She didn't have one of those.

Electric is definitely an option. My kids grew up with electric fence used to keep my horses in. When they were little, we'd unplug it when they went outside. As they got older, they learned through experience. We had a lab that ran under the fence once. It shocked the tip of his tail. He learned that that was a scary place to be.

Back
Top Bottom