Have you given up your flock because of neighborhood predators?

I understood you well. Firearm used must be suitable to kill in a single shot from a range suitable for the shooter. BB guns and shot guns from a hundred yards out will not meet those requirements. If you fail to kill with dog retreating to area you do not control, then that leaves you liable.

Do you have it anchored to the ground? I have had large dogs stand on hind legs pounce with front. The dog works to get pen off base or to collapse.

I think with the size medium smaller one they could do that. These are the big size $275 each. Without the reinforcements I added, I wouldnt try it either. I dont use the 19 gauge hatdware cloth any more. The 16 gauge from fencerwire is thicker and comes in the 1/2 inch mesh too, perfect for protecting birds. I do put big rocks around the base on top of the apron.

What is that white sloped surface at the edges of the run?

We used gravel to level the ground for our perimeter fence. We put a 2ft apron of wire on the ground then gravel to make a level foundation. Next was either 2" or 4" concrete pavers on top of the gravel. We built the 2"x4" fence panels and placed them on top of the pavers. All is free standing but secure. The chicks decided to scratch the gravel and started to undermine the foundation so we mixed up some ready mix concrete and placed over the gravel to keep the gravel in place. BB

BB guns? Bird shot? Rocks? All those require you to be on hand and at the ready to administer what may or may not even work. We went to a church social dinner last night, leaving the birds outside and running around while we were gone. Who stands guard then? The electric fence. (The only potential harm they were exposed to was from me when I got home to find them inside the garden tearing up the place.)
True story.........some years ago, out next door neighbors had a German Shorthair pointer who was terrified of thunderstorms. It was kept inside a chain link kennel, but during a thunderstorm, climbed out and broke in to the home? By broke in, it went through their garage door, then broke through the pedestrian door into their home. That sounds impossible, but I saw the damage. They put a chain link top on it and it did it again. Something I would have only thought a bear could do.
What stopped it was an electric fence INSIDE the chain link fence kennel. All the rest didn't stop it but that did.
Almost all problems with neighbors dogs can be solved with a properly installed, properly maintained electric fence. Quiet, peaceful enjoyment. No shooting, no drama. Dog quickly learns to leave your birds alone. Hurts far worse and is more effective than any BB gun and is on guard 24/7.

BB guns? Bird shot? Rocks? All those require you to be on hand and at the ready to administer what may or may not even work. We went to a church social dinner last night, leaving the birds outside and running around while we were gone. Who stands guard then? The electric fence. (The only potential harm they were exposed to was from me when I got home to find them inside the garden tearing up the place.)
True story.........some years ago, out next door neighbors had a German Shorthair pointer who was terrified of thunderstorms. It was kept inside a chain link kennel, but during a thunderstorm, climbed out and broke in to the home? By broke in, it went through their garage door, then broke through the pedestrian door into their home. That sounds impossible, but I saw the damage. They put a chain link top on it and it did it again. Something I would have only thought a bear could do.
What stopped it was an electric fence INSIDE the chain link fence kennel. All the rest didn't stop it but that did.
Almost all problems with neighbors dogs can be solved with a properly installed, properly maintained electric fence. Quiet, peaceful enjoyment. No shooting, no drama. Dog quickly learns to leave your birds alone. Hurts far worse and is more effective than any BB gun and is on guard 24/7.

Dear Howard,

Now you are coming across as a fence salesman. I advocate the use of electric fences as well as you must surely know, but they are not impregnable. I also have experience with German Pointers around hot-wire. They do not like getting shocked to be sure and when caught off guard while not otherwise engrossed in some exciting activity, they will back off yipping. The not coming back part is not something I am used to with dogs that live around fences. Numerous times when hunting the dogs have gotten zapped causing dog to back of briefly to shake it off and possibly cuss if dogs do such. Then they get back to business and if involves crossing the fence, then they do. Black and Tan Coon Hounds do the same. This is with fences that are properly hot. I have even had a dog suffer repeated shocks in rapid succession as it tried to get at a raccoon just a few feet away on the other time. If a human can handle the zaps and not break away, then so can a suitably motivated dogs. Fences are not impregnable, they are a layer of persuasion.

I probably do come off as sounding like that sometimes. OK, most of the time. But until I find something that works as well, I'll keep suggesting it.

I have a neighborhood dog that wears a muzzle. A dog with a history of being a bit mean.....yet even when the birds are out and about....often no more than 100 feet away...... it simply lays on the ground and ignores them. That has been my experience with most varmints around this fence.

But my fence tests out at over 14,000 volts, so it not something anyone wants to mess with. As kids, we used to play the game to see who could hold on the longest.......my limit was 3 jolts. I have no idea how long I could hold on to 14,000 volts and don't want to find out anytime soon!

A really hot electric fence tips the risk / reward scale in your favor. Anything that makes a play for the birds risks getting the snocker knocked out of them with almost no chance for any reward. So they quickly learn it does not pay to even try.

Back
Top Bottom