Having a cold winter where you live?

It hasn't been as bad as it was when I first moved to New England. When I first moved here, which wasn't all THAT long ago, we got about 6-8 feet of snow every winter (sometimes in only 2-3 snowstorms), and it would start with a light snow for Halloween and last till early May. In shadows over the parking lot snow dumps, the snow would seriously last till nearly June. Winter temps Jan-Feb didn't get above freezing, ever, for a solid two months, sometimes three (mid Dec - mid March). The thing is, if it's that cold consistently then it doesn't get very windy, and the only precipitation you get at all is snow. You don't get ice or sleet or freezing rain except in fall/spring. Snow is easier to drive in than the ice and freezing rain. You can ride a mountain bike in consistently cold, non-windy weather, with enough layers on. Snow falls off power lines and trees, even rotten trees.

Now it doesn't snow till December at least, just the freezing rain and sleet. There are enough warmish days that it's always windy, blowing what snow there is, into your eyes. The ice storms ensure that trees and power lines come down with annoying regularity. I will agree with anyone who says it's a real fool who moves to this climate and relies exclusively on the power/gas company for heat and cooking, but the firewood from other states brings bug problems here. The downed trees mean a lot of chainsaw work in hazardous weather, a lot of blocked roads that emergency crews can't get through. The past few springs, we've had late frosts and snowstorms, big thunderstorms in April - May during the orchard bloom times, so not much fruit from the local trees.

So far this year, the snow has come late and we've had a few warm thaws. Lots of ice storms and power outages, and those aren't normal. I've been glad for the kerosene lamps and the wood stove. Today is the usual cold, and we're due for a snow/ice storm tonight, I'm hauling firewood for sure. But I made sure to wrap my fruit trees in burlap this fall to save the spring buds.

its about 45 hear today and guess what its RAINING AGAIN!!! we have really not had a winter here this year at least not yet

Last edited:
English Chick, are you in England at all affected by Russia shutting down the gas pipeline? I know you all have oil from the North Sea, just wondering which countries are affected. France, Germany? I just read that it is -4F in Bulgaria and they have no heat source other than the gas line.

It's colder than normal here and have had alot of snow and ice.
It's snowing now probably have 6 in on the ground at the moment and people are driving by the house at 45 to 50 miles an hr. Keep waiting for someone to stop by the house to get help because they are stuck or have had an accident.

Speaking of the cold the temps have been 25 or less and the wood stoves and I are having a hard time keeping the temp up to 65 or more.

Really do not want to turn the furnace on.

Quote:
How is winter going where you live? Do you have more or less snow than usual, or different temperatures other than normal?

Yep, we live 20 minutes away from Fairbanks, and the temperature is still reading _48 F.!!!
th.gif
28.2 degrees colder than normal?!!
barnie.gif
Like AK bird brain said "ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING!!!" I'm ready for some warmer weather, that's for sure!!!!

Course I'd rather not have the freezing rain that we had in January, 3 years in a row awhile back-that was just plain weird!!!
hmm.png
The weather just can't make up it's mind!! Either it's rediculously warm in January, the coldest month of the year, or colder than usual. At least we're not seeing _50 to _55 F. below zero for 2 1/2 weeks like we saw last year!! The year before that, it was _60 F. below zero, and the only car that would start (even though all were plugged in) was my daughter's car---but the dashboard started cracking when it was started, and when the door was opened, the inside of the door broke and fell completely offf from the cold temperatures, and we had to buy a new one in the spring!!!
barnie.gif
Guess I can't complain too much!!!! We're still getting around (barely
lol.png
) without everything falling apart-although my van is still sitting in the driveway waiting for warmer weather so we can replace a simple hose to the power steering which broke and sprung a leak the last time my son drove it at _45 F. below zero!!
th.gif
(The consequences of driving a vehicle in cold weather like this!) The truck has a simple ignition problem where it won't start unless you connect something underneath it-the boys don't want to take that in to the shop-either, when it's a simple fix and we don't want to pay the $150.00 it takes to fix a simple problem-so meanwhile, they lay on the ground in these temperatures just to start it everytime they want to go anywhere, and leave it running the entire time they are in town! A little chilly on the backside!!!

We have had LESS snow (I think ours got sent to Oregon) and its been COLDER than last year overall. BUT a couple of days ago we went up to the high 50's which was really weird!

Last edited:
This is the hottest winter I can remember here. it is 80 degrees and raining right now. It has been hot all winter. Seems like it gets worse every year. I have only killed one deer this year, when I usually have a few by now. People are saying they wont move because of the heat and mosquitoes. Also, the ducks did not migrate this far south because of the heat, so the duck hunting has been terrible too. I hate the summer. I am miserable if it is over 50 degrees, and you cant even look forward to a break in the heat in winter anymore. Guess being born in louisiana in the midst of a climate change was bad for me!
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom