having a hard time sexing true Ameraucanas anyone have any pics?

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
of some 4-5 week old boys and girls I need something for comparison and did a lot of searches already. Normally I would wait longer but I have someone who can only come this week and I dont want to sell all my pullets nor do I want to give her all roos. I have splash and blue blue/wheaton.

Do I look at combs, feathers, stance, or all of the above?

is it true the boys will have 3 sall rows on their combs? they all seem the same light color pink none are red. I can post pics but there are quiet a few...

so I was thinking it would be easier to have someone else post a pic that I could use as comparison. thanks in advance
smile.png

Blue Wheatens... you'll be able to tell the boys right away... they'll be DARK. The pullets are rather light.

Here is a pullet at 4 weeks.
10376_1st_hatch_five_weeks_009.jpg

sorry about the bad pics but my ds is going nuts lol and so were the chicks

this is not the brooder they live in just what I carried them in upstairs so are the darker blue ones roos? i know there is some splash as well right?

Last edited:
Those look like BBS to me. Look for wide combs with all three rows of "peas" showing rather than just a center ridge. That's one way to tell, but they can have in-between combs and keep you guessing for awhile.

oh thank you speckledhen. I will do that in a little while and put a tag on those I think are boys. I wish I had more room so that I could wait and pick the nicest ones for me. any suggestions on that?

Back
Top Bottom