Having a problem with a Silkie Hen

Lacrystol

Hatching Helper
14 Years
Jun 13, 2009
Diamond, Ohio
I found her squashed in a corner of the coop, I thought this was strange but not so stranged. I figured she was trying to get away from the boys. I grabbed her and put her in bed, well she is still in the same exact position. So off into the house she goes, at first I couldn't get her to eat, today she has eating 3 times, I have soaked her food down to a liquid, she will not peck to eat the hard stuff but loves the soft stuff. She has her neck bent in an S shape, she can move it side to side but perfers to keep it to the the left. She can straighten it but doesn't, she also falls randomly to her side. I have checked her legs they seem fine, she can move them, she can also walk on them but refuses to do so. So 90 percent of the time she sits in the same spot, with her head to the left. When she eats I put the food bowl up to her as close as I can otherwise she will miss the bowl.. I have been giving her 2 drops of Polyvisol each day. I'm not sure what the heck is going because of the way she falls randomly to one side. Any advise would be great.

Here's an update, she is not getting better, I have decided to treat her as if she has wry neck, she still randomly falls over and will be on her side, so I decided to put a stuff animal in the box with her, the stuff animal is basically holding her up so that she doesn't fall over. I am still able to get her to eat but it's tough. She is really thin right now, we started 2 drops of polyvisol twice a day and Vitamin e. Hopefully soon will see some improvements, the falling over on her side really scares me. I'm wondering if she is doing that because she has some head injuries, although physically i can not see anything wrong...

It is possible that it is mareks. The sympomps are simelar.
Silkies are more sensetive to contracting mareks.
I hope it isn't mareks, but it is a possibilitie.
Anyway i wisch you very much strength and hoop she will heal.

Back
Top Bottom