HAWAII - BIG ISLAND: Moving from California to Hawaii - how did you ship your chickens?

yoshi09

Chirping
Aug 2, 2021
San Diego County
Hello. My partner and I are moving to the big island in a few months and we're wondering if anyone else has relocated their chickens from the mainland to Hawaii. If you did, can you share your experience, what company you used (if any), and any general advice?

We've so far asked and are waiting for quotes from Island Pet Movers, Tails of Hawaii, and PetRelocation. Does anyone have experiences with any of these companies?

Mahalo for your help!

I don't want to be a downer but being part native Hawaiian, and from Hawaii, whom had to move away many years back, please be aware that with every so many families that move there, natives are being pushed out and have to leave the aina to afford to live.

Google doesn't answer the questions clearly, but I've seen stuff posted on social media that came from native Hawaiian groups that was along the lines of every 4 families that move there, one local has to leave their ancestors homes to the mainland.

It may not apply to you since your partner in your pic looks local, but I'm wanting to help get the info out since I know too many people who have had to leave due to people from the mainland moving there and buying the available homes for over what the asking price is, which many locals can't match.

Please take care of the land there. I was home a couple weeks back and it's sad how much it has changed- the land, the buildings, the vibe, the people. It's not the Hawaii we grew up knowing and loving. I mean it's still there, and everywhere changes with time, but when small mom and pop places that were iconic spots close due to big chains moving in to meet the demand of the new inhabitants, it hurts our hearts.

Hello. My partner and I are moving to the big island in a few months and we're wondering if anyone else has relocated their chickens from the mainland to Hawaii. If you did, can you share your experience, what company you used (if any), and any general advice?

We've so far asked and are waiting for quotes from Island Pet Movers, Tails of Hawaii, and PetRelocation. Does anyone have experiences with any of these companies?

Mahalo for your help!
Aloha!
We moved from California to Hawaii in 2015.
We brought our dog with us, but chose to rehome our chickens.
I believe all three of those movers you mentioned mostly deal with cats and dogs. Any chicken over a day old chick would have to be in quarantine for sometime. Sounds like it might not be worth it. Believe me I understand how much chickens can be a pet as much as a dog or cat, but birds will not generally handle such a move very well. Definitely contact the Hawaii Agriculture department and find out exactly what rules you would need to follow.
They are extremely strict about permits and rules to bring in animals to Hawaii.
Wishing you luck!
There are a few good breeders on the Big Island, including one that breeds Silkies…🤣

IF you do decide to bring "fertile" eggs ... Check with Dept of Ag again ... I know from experience. Years ago cleared it with TSA & airlines but found out the eggs had to go thru quarantine station to be examined .... Maybe things have changed but it took me a year of planning and arranging before I returned home with my dog.
We arrived in November, she developed "issues" in Dec. Going to the Vet for test and blood work up, she passed in April. Was it worth it? I tried at the same time felt guilty.

Back
Top Bottom