Hawk attack - Bloody combs

Aleelupton

Songster
Jul 3, 2018
Warren, Ohio
Today my husband started yelling as he was in the bathroom that a hawk was trying to get our chickens while they were in their chicken run. I ran out with a broom and chased it off and we have put a tarp over our coop. We are going to get a plastic owl to "guard" our coop and get some thicker hardware cloth. In the meantime almost ALL of our chickens have bloody combs. I dont know if the hawk scratched all of them or if the hardware cloth scraped them. They are terrified and bloodied, but no other injuries have been found. What should I do about their combs? I feel horrible and have already cried. These are my first chickens and I love them so to see them hurt and scared breaks my heart.

They are a mixed flock of standard, bantam, and serama pullets. The standard and bantam chickens are 6 weeks old and the seramas will be 5 weeks old tomorrow. Here are some pictures:
Screenshot_20180808-183742_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20180808-183719_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20180808-183655_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20180808-183639_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20180808-183621_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20180808-183608_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20180808-183555_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20180808-183544_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20180808-183530_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20180808-184634_Video Player.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180808-183544_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20180808-183544_Video Player.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
The cuts all seem to be perfectly placed on the one spot. I don't think that was from the hawk. It was most likely from the wire from them trying to escape. I have had a hawk attack my chicks once. It killed all but one. It was their first day out too. From then on I have a wire mesh draped over my run. This has kept the hawks out from the last 2 years. Thank ___ your partner saw the hawk before it caused any real damage!

The cuts all seem to be perfectly placed on the one spot. I don't think that was from the hawk. It was most likely from the wire from them trying to escape. I have had a hawk attack my chicks once. It killed all but one. It was their first day out too. From then on I have a wire mesh draped over my run. This has kept the hawks out from the last 2 years. Thank ___ your partner saw the hawk before it caused any real damage!
Our run has a roof, but the sides are all hardware cloth. We bought thicker hardware cloth to go over it tonight. Our poor babies. I know hawks have to eat too, but I wish it weren't trying to eat my chickens.

If scabs have formed on the combs, I would leave them alone.
If any are still bleeding, then I suggest some Iodine gel, just a little and if possible separate any that are still bleeding from the others until a proper scab forms.
There is a product that I use for injuries that may be available where you are, it's called Stockholm Hoof Tar. It sticks like shit to a blanket and seals a wound. A dab of this on the cuts on the comb would hide the blood and help keep infection away.

If scabs have formed on the combs, I would leave them alone.
If any are still bleeding, then I suggest some Iodine gel, just a little and if possible separate any that are still bleeding from the others until a proper scab forms.
There is a product that I use for injuries that may be available where you are, it's called Stockholm Hoof Tar. It sticks like shit to a blanket and seals a wound. A dab of this on the cuts on the comb would hide the blood and help keep infection away.
I will definitely have to look for that! The bleeding has stopped and it is dried. Hopefully since they all have it they won't peck at each other. They seem to be doing fine today.

Back
Top Bottom