Hawk attack

Crash812

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 3, 2014
I was away today and received a panicked phone call from my wife. Says the chickens were just attacked and to get home.
She says she heard a commotion outside with the chickens running crazy around the yard and then noticed a "hawk" perched on the hen house and many dozens of crows flying around and perched on the fence and the neighbors house. The "hawk" was described to be what I think was a Peregrine falcon, and a little smaller than the chickens.
There was an area next to the coop that had a larger than normal amount of feathers scattered around, but not sure what an attack would really look like if it got its talons into one of the chickens. None were bleeding or injured that we could tell, but were clearly shaken.
We have let them have the run of the back yard since we got them in the Spring, but are fearful for them now. Thinking we should fence them in a little smaller area and put a netting over the top of it all.
Should we really be overly concerned about the chickens being taken by a raptor here in Western Washington? We have three good sized Rhode Island Reds.

Yes, many raptors will love your birds! You need to keep them in a covered run (SECURITY!) for at least seven to ten days, until the falcon gives up and moves on. If you haven't yet built a run, keep them in their coop while you build it. Tomorrow! Raptors are a fact of life, and will return as long as it pays off. Mary

I don't know if raptors keep coming back. In the last year and a half I've a hawk come down and try to have chicken meal. Both times I was there and able to scare it away. Yesterday was attempt number 2. I was there and the girls went into hiding mode. Today I let them out at 9:00 this morning and gave them free run. I was not around all day. Girls are all good. Seems to me if that hawk wanted to come around today it was as good as time as any.

My yard is pretty small. I've got 4 RIRs. The girls have plenty of places to hide that a hawk wouldn't be able to get to. I think you can protect them a fair amount, but if you want to free range them there are inherent risks. What about foxes, raccoons and the like? Only so much you can do. Give them hideaways and hope for the best.

Today our chickens will not come out of their coupe at all. Do they remember?

Mine would not come out for a few days after the hawk came in. Mine was a red tailed hawk.
The attack was very brief. I saw it bank coming around the apple tree and ran out as it landed on my poor delaware hen. No injuries but shaken up badly.

I had mine in the yard while I worked on the door to the new coop. I was in my workshop when it happened.

It will be back. Or another in its place.

I had a Red-tail Hawk attack my flock today while they were in their uncovered run. I first noticed it as it was sitting on the compost bin in the run. None of the chickens gone or obviously hurt. I lost a chicken 3 weeks ago, though, to an aerial predator from the run, early in the morning. S

o I got a large (25X50') expanse of woven avirary netting, but I have not figured out how to attach it to my metal sided building. Anyone have any suggestions?

Can you put eye bolts like this through the siding and use small conduit woven through the netting to hold it?

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Ha.../Ntt-eye+bolt?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

Conduit this size may work...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Allied-T...ectric-Metallic-Tube-Conduit-101543/100400405

Perhaps eye hooks would be easier since you could weave the mesh on and then pop it into the hooks. I know these come in more sizes than this. DH used some on my coop to hold conduit to the building since he did not want to mount more wood where spiders could hang out or wasps.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/National...with-Hex-Nut-2162BC-5-16X5-HOOK-BLT/204590260

It seems like everyone is having problems with hawks stalking their chickens/ducks this year! I was relieved to find out I wasn't the only one. I've been battling hawk problems since September when I had my chicks let outside. Once the hawk killed one of the exotic chicks that Murry sent me and my ONLY laying hen at the time, I was furious. I had to put protective netting over my chicken pen and secure it all over. Now if I want to get into my chicken pen to get eggs, feed them, etc, I have to literally squat and waddle around like some penguin. It isn't fair to my chickens because my older ones used to run around the yard no problem.
I also found that it is illegal in the state of Pennsylvania (not sure if it is illegal anywhere else) to kill a bird of prey so that was not an option for me. I couldn't kill them anyway... I wanted to trap and set him loose somewhere else if I could.

I now have a rooster and while he is friendly and loves being around people, he will do all he can to protect my girls. I've already seen him do it.
I live in a borough, but I haven't gotten in trouble for my rooster...yet. If you can - get a roo. He will protect the chickens and lead them to safety and guard them with his life.

It seems like everyone is having problems with hawks stalking their chickens/ducks this year! I was relieved to find out I wasn't the only one. I've been battling hawk problems since September when I had my chicks let outside. Once the hawk killed one of the exotic chicks that Murry sent me and my ONLY laying hen at the time, I was furious. I had to put protective netting over my chicken pen and secure it all over. Now if I want to get into my chicken pen to get eggs, feed them, etc, I have to literally squat and waddle around like some penguin. It isn't fair to my chickens because my older ones used to run around the yard no problem.
I also found that it is illegal in the state of Pennsylvania (not sure if it is illegal anywhere else) to kill a bird of prey so that was not an option for me. I couldn't kill them anyway... I wanted to trap and set him loose somewhere else if I could.

I now have a rooster and while he is friendly and loves being around people, he will do all he can to protect my girls. I've already seen him do it.
I live in a borough, but I haven't gotten in trouble for my rooster...yet. If you can - get a roo. He will protect the chickens and lead them to safety and guard them with his life.

I do not think it is legal to kill them anywhere. Most places even capturing them is illegal. Having a bird of prey in your possession can carry a heavy fine.

Roosters do not always protect the hens with their lives. Nature tells them to survive and if to survive they must flee they will flee. Not all roosters are nice with people either. Many can be dangerous toward kids especially.
Not being negative just realistic.

Back
Top Bottom