Hawk Attacked Head

Her breathing is audible. She also is in pain and retracts from my dabbing tbe right side of her head. How much aspirin can she have? She is able to take water.

Still cant assess actual damage as blood matted in tufts and dont want to shine bright light on that right eye.

She is awake and panting with mouth open.

Last edited:
Hawks' talons are very filthy. If you can, it would be a good idea to start some antibiotics right away. One of my largest roosters, a white Jersey Giant, battled a hawk, and won, about three weeks ago. We could find no visible blood or wound of any kind on the brave Guido, but he became ill a few days later. We think there may have been some tiny puncture that we did not see that allowed an infection to develop. He did recover, but was pretty low for about 10 days.

1521434398702-1646167579.jpg

12:40 am so it has been about 6 hours since the attack. Missy is alert but remains in this position mostly, panting heavily. Pulls away from my attempts to clean but still hopeful for her and her eye.
If her nostrils are clogged what can be done for her to breath through them instead of her open beak? Unless that isn't a concern?

Last edited:
20180319_012602.jpg
more photos. Found a neck wound. Close ups include both sides of face. Gave small bit of aspirin. No antibiotics yet as wull have to go get on Monday.
20180319_011243.jpg
20180319_011448.jpg
20180319_011512.jpg

and a face-on chicken selfie.(top of post)

Last edited:
Poor baby, hurts seeing the pictures :fl It's highly probably she's in shock. Have you been able to flush the punture wound (s) with saline? If you can do that, then put some Neosporin (w/out the pain) in it, hopefully the talon didn't hit anything major. I wouldn't mess with trying to clean out her nostrils, don't want water going in, could try wiping the dry stuff off. Were you able to melt the aspirin in water & have her drink it?

Once you get done cleaning the best you can, or she will allow, see if she'll drink some Nutri Drench or gatorade, put her in a quiet & dark part of your room in a dog crate/cage or box. Tomorrow you can see how she's doing, see if she'll eat something (wet food or boiled egg yolk). Take her to a Vet if you deem necessary.

Keep us updated. Poor baby :hugs

Back
Top Bottom