Hawk killed my 3 week old buff orpington-need predator advise

Quote:
IFF you can get throught the paperwork and red tape to get a permit, you might be allowed to trap and relocate or even more rarely be allowed to shoot the raptor. This is a LONG involved process, and does require that you try alternate means first. US Wildlife Service views it as your responsibility to house and pen your birds to prevent predation. Without the permit, you face jail time and fines of up to $10,000. Haven't checked lately to see the status, but there was strong consideration for increasing the penalty.

Those are black vultures, which will go after live prey. Turkey vultures have a red head and brown feathering, and are less likely to go for live birds. Both of these vulture species are nicknamed buzzards.

I do have one plastic owl but its way down bottom of the yard near the garden area,gona look for a few more.Thanks for all the bird info .Ive read so much about hawks,buzzards,vultures & falcons that im confussed ...lol- All I know is it was around 10pds(my husband said) I think maybe 7 or8pds but seemed large,it looked larger than a redtail hawk,looked more like a buzzard picture.I dont think it was a eagle.The birds sometimes fly 5 in a circle.Thats the most ive ever saw together.Its wings were black w/brown barring & chest was white w/brown barring& it looked fearlessly at my 250pd husband running at it, it flew away right in front of him.Im not trying to shoot it just think i should understand what im dealing with just incase it comes back around.If it does i will call animal control for help if needed,Im not trying to get into trouble or fined.

Quote:
Go to whatbird.com and type hawk into the search box. Start with a redtail or any other, and then click on the links that show similar appearing birds. You may be able to rule some out, or narrow it doen to them. Hawks and other raptors look like they should weigh much more than they do. If y'all thought it weighed 8-10 lb, it probably topped out at no more than 4; maybe a lot less.

Most raptors are not afraid of humans, they instinctively seem to know that they can easily fly out of our reach far more rapidly than we can catch them or prevent them from taking one of our flock
sad.png

Lots of folks do not realize that all raptors are protected, and that it being in the act of taking ones livestock is not a legal defense; glad you are playing by the rules.

Back
Top Bottom