Hawks having a feast (graphic photos)

CluckyCluck

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 4, 2012
Ahhh these stupid hawks I thought left for good - but they came back with a vengence.

Literally - one was on top of my coop, and one went IN my coop. I had to leave the door open just enough for the turkey's to go in should the hawk come (since it killed 1 chicken in the open side of my coop last week, and two in front of it the week before, and one outside of a shed where they go to free range and hide) and boy did the hawk come.

I was going out to take my daughter to school - and I saw a hawk on top of the coop. So I started running toward it - but it wasn't flying away! As I got closer, it finally flew just a little away to the tree right outside of my fence - which is WEIRD. So I kept going. Got to the fence and opened the gate - started going toward the coop and didn't a huge red tailed hawk (the partner) come flying out of the small door opening. She was in there eating my FAVORITE chicken alive!

I took my girl and put her in the house in a box. I went to access her wounds and saw her leg was completely tore open - I can see the ligaments inside of it. She also has a hole in her belly sort of. As I inspected further - I realized both sides of her neck have holes in them. Gosh, now I'm so sorry I caught the hawk in the act, and kind of wish it just put her out of her misery.

I cleaned the leg and wrapped it - but I haven't touched the neck. Not even sure what to do. She was perky this morning though when I went to check her out. Drinking water, and eating some happy hen treats.

So now, I have to get a LSG dog and make them go into a smaller "dog pen" fenced area which is 10 X 14. Finally my husband is understanding that I get so much enjoyment out of these chickens, and while he cant stand them - he has agreed that I should protect them somehow when they are free ranging, even right at the stinking coop.

So I have a few questions.

1. Do you have a LSG dog, and does it live outside 24/7? Do they sleep in the coop with the flock or outside of the coop? Does anyone know where I can get one in New Jersey or surrounding?

2. Will the dog pen covered (which girls can walk out of coop into) with one of those black shade pieces be enough to keep the hawks out until said dog is secured?

3. What the heck can I do for Ms Mary chicken? I feel like her neck will heal, but the leg will take so long, if it even can heal.I don't know if keeping it wrapped is good or bad since she can't walk at ALL with it wrapped. When I got her she was limping on it but all she wanted to do was get the heck out of there so was just adrenaline pumping I suppose. Poor girl even layed a soft shell egg today. :(

This hole is at the top of her thigh, and to the top right of that, on her belly is another small hole.

i have a great pyrenese dog that finally learned after 15 chickens she was supposed to protect them, not eat them.

i dont think there is much you can do for her, but try this:
http://emtgel.com/
found it after my silkie rooster's back got ripped open (you could see the bone)
you can get it at my farm store. i bet you could get it at TSC

your biggest worry now is infection, until you can get something good on it, wrap it up.

i would keep the girls in their coop for a few days, when the hawks come back they would be there which might hold them off for another few months.

Best of luck! and sorry i wasnt much help.. but the EMT gel is totally worth it, my rooster was back to normal in no time
- haley

I'm sorry about your hen loss.

A good LGD can take up to 2 years to properly train, please don't get an LGD if you don't know how and don't want to take the time to train it.

Your best bet is to make your coop impregnable.
How did the hawk get in? Can you post a pic if you need some help in making to more secure?
Shade cloth might work if you leave no gaps for hawk to get thru.

I have a 10 X 20 run in shed. Half is closed in, has a door, and a hole for chickens to go in. Turkeys (pair) though can't fit in the hole, and they are completely traumatized - so I never thought the hawk would actually go IN the coop and I left the big door open just enough for the turkey's to get in if they have to run from the hawks. But with one hawk watching guard one slipped right in and flew out of that small door opening not with ease - but as quick as it could. If I were 15 seconds sooner I would have been able to close the door and lock it in - BUT I didn't know there was one in there.

They just have a fenced in area - no "run".

My plan now is to put my 10 X 14 dog run somewhat attached the open side of the coop, covering the small chicken door that they can go out into the pen and then when I am out there, I will let them out. this amount of space gives them 8 X 10 open side of shed and 10 X 14 outside run. Right now I am down to 7 hens, 1 rooster and two black spanish turkeys.

I just realized earlier - this all started happening after I rehomed my goats who used to share the space with the chickens.

A guard dog may not be a good solution and I'll start with the pen and in the spring/summer build them a permanent run.

My husband is saying the hawks may rip through the black shade cover? Do you guys think they would?

I doubt they would, if the cover is over the whole thing it should dissuade them from even trying I would think. Some have said running strands of fishing line or streamers back and forth across the top of the run will discourage hawks. I would prefer at least chickenwire or something comparable over fishing line

Its better to raise a LSGD puppy with your birds, that way the pooch imprints on chickens or maybe views them as part of its pack.
i got mine right at weening, i dont think there is a 'viewing as part of pack'. they are puppies, playful, they like to chew and get into messes. it takes a good long time to train, and you have to do it right the first time.

Back
Top Bottom