Hawks scared my sick hen to death, literally?

BlossomSilkies

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Niles, MI
I had our BR in quarantine and had her outside today (Phoenix Arizona, beautiful sunny and warm). I went out to check on her and 2 hawks flew away, Roxy was dead in her cage. She was doing better today too. I think those hawks were trying to get her and scared her to death. Is that possible?

I went back out again, and there sat 3 of them on the neighbor's roof, eyeballing my flock. Our runs are completely wrapped (floor, walls, roof) in chicken wire, so they can't get in.

78433_hawk_2.jpg

Last edited:
28956_img_2702.jpg

I had one that sat on my coop for awhile. I chased it off with a bright yellow broom handle and he hasn't come back.

He did stress the heck out of the girls so maybe in her weakend state she just got overwhelmed and had a heart attack.

Now that I've had time to think about it, I wonder if she was freaking out in the cage and banged her head or broke her neck.

They left for awhile, but heard a ruckus a bit ago, and there was one of them sitting on the trampoline pole. Need to check over on the predators board for ways to deter them.

Back
Top Bottom