Hay can be dangerous

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Mikhail, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Mikhail

Mikhail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    i just wanted to warn everyone that hay can be dangerous to birds. I used to have hay in my button's cages but one day while I was trying to exam one of their toes (somehow one of their toenails got ripped off) I saw one of my females tryng to swallow a long sturdy piece of hay (it was about half as long as her entire body). I grabbed her and was able to pull it out, but just barely. I'm so glad I was there at the time because that would not have been good. So since then I haven't had hay or shavings in the cage. I'm too afraid they'll try to eat shavings too. the shavings have little pieces of wood in them and they might mistake that as food.

Has anyone else had any trouble with shavings or hay? Maybe that's sometimes the cause of a bird to die, but you wouldn't ever know unless you had an autopsy done.

2. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    Thanks for the heads up. I noticed one of mine trying to eat the hay as well.

They are like small children they will get into anything that they can.

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I dont really advise against hay anyhow as if it gets wet i can get moldy pretty quickly [​IMG]

edited to add (as bedding as a foraging thing is different, but as bedding you have to worry about the hay getting wet) [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    are they in a solid bottom cage? or on wire?

5. I have RIR's and have been using hay for 2 years and had no problem, but I only use it in the coop and nest, other than that they free range coop has a dirt floor so its easy to rake out the old hay and replace it with new.marrie

6. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    If they eat to much hay is can cause crop impaction.

7. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    We use hay. Never had an issue.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    are you keeping the cages clean enough? how did you rip a toe nail off? was the hay stuck to the toe from them walking in poop? just asking these questions so i can get a better idea of how you are raising them...thanks

9. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Hmmmmmmmm [​IMG]

10. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    I found the same problem with hay~~so now I use pine shavings instead & have no problems at all that I have found.

I'm glad you caught your little one in time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by