Hay can be dangerous

Mikhail

Songster
11 Years
Nov 13, 2008
i just wanted to warn everyone that hay can be dangerous to birds. I used to have hay in my button's cages but one day while I was trying to exam one of their toes (somehow one of their toenails got ripped off) I saw one of my females tryng to swallow a long sturdy piece of hay (it was about half as long as her entire body). I grabbed her and was able to pull it out, but just barely. I'm so glad I was there at the time because that would not have been good. So since then I haven't had hay or shavings in the cage. I'm too afraid they'll try to eat shavings too. the shavings have little pieces of wood in them and they might mistake that as food.

Has anyone else had any trouble with shavings or hay? Maybe that's sometimes the cause of a bird to die, but you wouldn't ever know unless you had an autopsy done.

I dont really advise against hay anyhow as if it gets wet i can get moldy pretty quickly
sickbyc.gif

edited to add (as bedding as a foraging thing is different, but as bedding you have to worry about the hay getting wet)
smile.png

Last edited:
are you keeping the cages clean enough? how did you rip a toe nail off? was the hay stuck to the toe from them walking in poop? just asking these questions so i can get a better idea of how you are raising them...thanks

Back
Top Bottom