Use needle nose tweezers if you have to, but get those nasty things out. Then clean the area. I've used veterycin or peroxide, then apply Neosporin. A fly had to lay eggs on the wound for this to happen. Keep the chicks in an area that doesn't have flies. This chick needs nutrition, get live mealworms at pet store to entice eating, appetite right now is crucial.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I am new to chicken raising but long story short... I have 3 egg laying hens and 2 baby chicks (about 3 weeks old) raised them since they were days old. One of my adult hens seems to be very territorial, and has plucked the feathers out of one of my other adult ones. They've been separated and she's healing just fine but today she did something I would have never expected!!

I woke up this morning to both of my baby chicks with head injuries ( open wounds on their heads from the adult hen. She must've broke into the chick pen and got to them. I separated them from each other, so currently both chicks are in cardboard boxes in my house, with food and water.

One of them just has shallow wounds, so I had my boyfriend run over to the local farm supply store and pick up some wound care. They suggested this. (Pictured below). I cleaned and disinfected her wound with the spray and then gently rubbed some of the cover up lotion on the chick with the shallow wound. She seems to be doing alright. Has been resting all day and eating and drinking normal.

But I'm worried about my other chick. She unfortunately suffered more. (pictured below). Huge OPEN WOUND from the top of her head (right behind her eyes) to the bottom of her neck. She is eating like normal but I haven't seem her drink any water. Disinfected and cleaned the wound with the spray but am holding off on the cover up lotion. I am reading that you can put Neosporin on their wounds? Would you recommend this? She is starting to worry me now because when I listen closely, she seems to be breathing heavier than normal, almost like she is wheezing? or pushing out air hard? She hasn't been crying or chirping. And is still alert.

Also I can't tell if she is becoming dizzy or it it becoming hard for her to hold up her head when she walks. Every time she stands to walk, her head seems to slightly droop, and she walks all over the place and jolts around. I can tell her wound is bothering her. Also, I spread out her food on an elevated brick so she does't have to extend her head down to eat. It has been helping because she is struggling to extend her head down.

Any suggestions? Is she suffering or is there hope for her to heal?
Graphic Images Inserted. The yellow chick is the one with the severe head injury.
hi, I’m in a similar situation as well. My chick seems to be doing fairly well so i’m not too worried but I do those products help? I’m not sure what to put on her, I don’t want to give her something I’m not supposed too

Back
Top Bottom