Head mites and lice!!!!!!!!!!

willkatdawson

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Ga
I just noticed a scab on my broody hen's ear area. I looked closer and saw mites!!! I got Q tip, soaked it with pyrethrin spray( the same dilluted spray I spray their vent areas with) and put 1/2 cc of ivermectin on the back of her neck. OMG, with I wet the head feathers with pyrethrin and the mites and lice boiled out of the feathers and all over poor Millie's face and beak.
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
Is there anything else I can do? I can't stand the idea of anything biting my birds. I've cleaned the coop, and treated everyone else with eprinex poor on. I don't see any mites on any of the other birds. Boy have I got the heebies!!!! Keeping chickens isn't for sissies.
barnie.gif
Is there a difference between mites and lice at the vent area compared to those on the head, or is it all geography?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your heebie creating condition. There are more than one species of both lice and mites, and they are often specific to parts of the anatomy.

I listed what I did to remove lice recently on my blog- www.poultrypundit.blogspot.com.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom