Head shaking and not eating

rahbeen

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
Missouri
Hi, I lurk around here a lot almost everyday. I am new to chicken keeping and learning a lot from this site. I have 4 chickens (2 red production, 2 black sex links) they are 7 months old. They do not free range as there are too many dogs around us. I noticed today Daisy was shaking her head every 15 seconds or so.(then later not as much) I picked some grass to hand feed them and daisy did not come to eat. She was just standing off to the side. They always come running for grass. I picked her up and checked for mites or lice all over and saw nothing. Her vent looked good. Her crop was empty though. I tried everything to get her to eat. She would only eat live mealworms. I am really worried about her not eating as I've heard chickens can go downhill quick. She seemed slightly bony compared to the others. I have not seem any other symptoms like sneezing, running nose, haven't noticed any unusual or runny poop. Clean there coop daily since I use sand. They all have been healthy all this time and usually get 3-4 eggs daily. This is the first day I've noticed anything unusual. I hope someone has some advice. I have tried searching and can't find what to do. I can not separate her as I have no where to put her. Please help!

Update: went out with a flashlight to check again for mites. And daisy went to the feeder and was eating so I will sleep a little better tonight.

Last edited:
Could be Marek's, maybe. Here's a thread with info on what others used to cure that disease with their poultry. The shaking you describe is almost guaranteed to be of neurological origin so whether it is or isn't Marek's, the cure they use may well also help as it is a specific treatment for neurological issues.
Quote: Best wishes. Someone may be able to suggest a closer fit for your symptoms.

My chickens will shake their heads some as they are maturing--I have always thought it was itching due to feathers coming in. It is good you have checked for mites--keep checking all of them. You might want to consider worming with a medicine that gets more than round worms such as Valbazen or Safeguard goat wormer. Worms can cause a decrease in appetite.

What does infection look like? Looked at her ears but coundnt find a hole. note to self: read more on chicken anatomy.
She seemed interested in scraps this morning. But still flipping her head as if trying to get something off. I bought sevin dust. Should I just use it?

Last edited:
She seems to be eating but realised todsy she is hoarse. Repository disease? I heard it friday I think and thought it was odd sound but thought maybe someone was p*ssed cause that what it sounds like or unhappy. Not there usual singing to me sound. I have tetracylamin in there water which is all I know to do right now.

Last edited:
Quote: That's odd, mine have never done that. It's possible of course to breed in neurological disorders which aren't related to contagious disease. Tremors are generally best viewed with high suspicion.

Best wishes to all.

My chickens will shake their heads some as they are maturing--I have always thought it was itching due to feathers coming in. It is good you have checked for mites--keep checking all of them. You might want to consider worming with a medicine that gets more than round worms such as Valbazen or Safeguard goat wormer. Worms can cause a decrease in appetite.

That's odd, mine have never done that. It's possible of course to breed in neurological disorders which aren't related to contagious disease. Tremors are generally best viewed with high suspicion.

Best wishes to all.

Those were a couple of polish chicks, and they were always "different." LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom