HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

Nebraska Ag Department has cancelled all shows for poultry: state fair, county, and town/village fairs; poultry auctions, shows, swaps and gatherings for poultry, this includes 4H gatherings and annual shows until 1 January 2016

Wil chickens infected with Avian flu start to lay eggs again after they are symptom free? If so are those eggs safe to eat? If they dont lay again i should just slaughter them i guess. Can i then eat the meat if the withdraw period for the antibiotics has passed?

Chickens infected with HPAI will die from the virus.. You won't need to worry about the eggs. If your chickens are sick now and you are treating them successfully, then it's not HPAI and you will need to follow the medication withdrawal periods.

Many respiratory illnesses continue to shed virus even after symptom free so new birds may get sick once the old ones have immunity.

Just read in the news today that Ohio is still on high alert re the AI.  It said in the article that in Darke County especially they are nervous.  They are randomly testing backyard flocks, the article said. So be aware. :/

will they cull without testing or test and if the flocks are negative they won't cull a backyard flock?

From the Ohio Department of Agriculture:

"REYNOLDSBURG, Ohio (June 2, 2015) – In an aggressive move designed to help protect Ohio’s $2.3 billion poultry industry from the avian flu that has so negatively impacted other poultry-producing states, today the Ohio Department of Agriculture canceled all live bird exhibitions this year. The ban includes county and independent fairs, the Ohio State Fair, and all other gatherings of birds for show or for sale, including auctions and swap meets. Similar bans have been enacted in other poultry states. So far, Ohio is virus-free and the move is intended to continue that status. "

Full release is found at: http://www.agri.ohio.gov/animal/doc...rd shows across Ohio to Prevent Avian Flu.pdf

Back
Top Bottom