Healthier duck food

Number1Sticky

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 18, 2010
Last edited:
I think they are all about the same nutrition wise. I would see which one your ducks seem to prefer to eat.

If you don't mind paying for more expensive food, the breeder I bought my anconas from uses "Mazuri" food which I also have started using. My ducks go through it more slowly, and poo less. (gross but less clean up). It's expensive online, but if you order it through your local country store you don't have to pay for the shipping.

If you don't mind paying for more expensive food, the breeder I bought my anconas from uses "Mazuri" food which I also have started using. My ducks go through it more slowly, and poo less. (gross but less clean up). It's expensive online, but if you order it through your local country store you don't have to pay for the shipping.

Actually I'm just looking for the healthiest food available for my ducks. Last time I posted on here asking, everyone just told me it didn't matter. Which kinda bothered me because I try to feed all my animals the best food possible and people weren't being very helpful. Everyone was just telling me dog/cat food.

What kind of food? The only one I can find on the Mazuri website is "Sea Duck Diet." Is that the one you are talking about?

I feed my ducks sprouted whole grains with a chicken mineral added. They also are free range. We get a mix of barley, oats and wheat from an organic livestock grain seller. Then we soak the grain in water with whey added for 24 hours and then dump it into a pillow case and hang it on the wood fence. We shake it up and rinse it twice a day for 2 days, then feed it with the mineral added. They lay pretty well on it. We also feed this to the chickens.

http://www.mazuri.com/waterfowl.aspx

For the last few years I've been buying the starter for my new ducks and goslings. I only have three bantam ducks, four large ducks and two goslings so it tends to last quite awhile. For instance my goslings are 5 weeks old today and I still have about 8 C left from the 25 lb bag of starter. I also use the breeder for the adult bantam & large ducks and mix it with regular layer pellets from time to time. The 50 lb bag lasts almost two months using it this way. It's expensive but worth it to me because all my birds look fantastic. It is the healthiest choice for waterfowl out there.

Last edited:
BTW, I have to order the Mazuri feed from a local feed store and it usually takes about two weeks to get it in so I plan accordingly.

Actually I'm just looking for the healthiest food available for my ducks. Last time I posted on here asking, everyone just told me it didn't matter. Which kinda bothered me because I try to feed all my animals the best food possible and people weren't being very helpful. Everyone was just telling me dog/cat food.

What kind of food? The only one I can find on the Mazuri website is "Sea Duck Diet." Is that the one you are talking about?
I would suggest PMing CelticOaksFarm. She uses it and has several breeder birds. I do apologize if my post came off as it not mattering but most Layena and Dumor feeds are about the same nutrient wise

Last edited:

Go to the Mazuri website, then go to the AVIAN tab, under that go to the waterfowl tab. I use the Waterfowl maintenance for older birds (adults) and the waterfowl starter for younger birds. when they're about five or six weeks old you can feed them the maintenance... it'll take them a bit to figure the food out because it's bigger like cat food would be; but it's specifically made for waterfowl, and has what they need. :)

http://www.mazuri.com/waterfowl.aspx

For the last few years I've been buying the starter for my new ducks and goslings. I only have three bantam ducks, four large ducks and two goslings so it tends to last quite awhile. For instance my goslings are 5 weeks old today and I still have about 8 C left from the 25 lb bag of starter. I also use the breeder for the adult bantam & large ducks and mix it with regular layer pellets from time to time. The 50 lb bag lasts almost two months using it this way. It's expensive but worth it to me because all my birds look fantastic. It is the healthiest choice for waterfowl out there.
This is exactly what I use. It's awesome food! My ducks go through it more slowly, their feathers look better, and they just like to eat it! I've noticed that they have more energy too as far as my younger ones go.

Back
Top Bottom