If anyone is curious or ever suspects a heart murmur in one of their chickens, this is a great case summary about a rooster with a similar issue arising around 5-6 months: http://www.poultrydvm.com/cases/chance

It seems species that were bred to grow big and fast are particularly prone to heart issues. No wonder. It's good to know there are care plans that can help them live a mostly normal and very happy life, though.

Did the vet prescribe the antibiotics and what it
is the name of it? I normally don’t recommend antibiotics unnecessarily, but if the vet prescribed it, it might be helpful in case of a heart inflammation. If you were just going to give one on your own, then hold off.

Antibiotic resistance is a real thing, but in some cases they can help, especially if you know what you are treating. The vet would be best to decide that. Some people just throw antibiotics at chickens, not knowing what they are treating, or what type is needed. Knowing the egg withdrawal time helps as well.

Our vet didn't prescribe it but she mentioned we could get a broad spectrum antibiotic for birds called tetracycline (sp?). Supposedly there are limitations on what she's able to prescribe for poultry versus non-agricultural birds. She said if we are ever worried about something in our flock it doesn't hurt to use it. I'm with you though--I hesitate to treat with antibiotics willy nilly. We ordered it to have on hand, but will play it by ear.

The last post I made included some heartening info on meds/diet that can treat a swollen or abnormal heart. When I check in with my vet I may bring this up, as it seems there is record of good results.

My vet has prescribed enalapril and lasix (furosemide) for congestive heart failure in one of my dogs years ago, and they are drugs that are frequently used in humans as well. Most of us do not have vets who would treat a chicken that agressively (or even treat a chicken,) but the article is good for those who do.

It's a great story about Chance, good for them!
Any of those meds might be indicated, pending what your veterinarian thinks is necessary, and all of them make her eggs inedible. Unless you plan on taking tiny amounts of her heart meds too...
She might be good without, or not. It's for you and your vet to figure out.
Mary

I will happily avoid her eggs if it means she still gets to be around, living a vibrant (if slightly toned down) life. But best case scenario = she can bounce back on her own w/ a little extra TLC :)

Before we got chickens I promised my fiancé I wouldn't get "too attached"... so much for that!

I really appreciate your follow up about Buffy. I’m experiencing the same symptoms with a 7 month old hen I have. Lots of open mouth breathing when the others aren’t, but this heat has really been hard on her. I’ve been searching for answers, so you’ve given me another lead. Just so you know, I had a cat with a hear murmur that lived 19 years, and that’s not what killed her, so it’s not a death sentence.

I really appreciate your follow up about Buffy. I’m experiencing the same symptoms with a 7 month old hen I have. Lots of open mouth breathing when the others aren’t, but this heat has really been hard on her. I’ve been searching for answers, so you’ve given me another lead. Just so you know, I had a cat with a hear murmur that lived 19 years, and that’s not what killed her, so it’s not a death sentence.

Of course. I'm glad it might be helping you troubleshoot. Buffy's symptoms were vague yet unsettling. In retrospect, she was always the first to breathe mouth agape and the last to stop on warmer days. That was a sign.

I now have an inkling that, especially for hens bred to mature quickly, heart issues are more common than acknowledged (interestingly, I read that necropsies done on 2 year-old production hens like ISA browns found organs that were flabby and darkened--yet other breeds of the same age showed little internal wear). I'm not a doctor though so grain of salt!

The one thing I learned to be extra vigilant about w/ Buffy is to monitor her feed intake. We almost lost her because, by the time she was showing visible signs of distress, she was refusing to eat altogether. Buffy had likely been consuming less and less over the past week from accumulated heat stress and we didn't notice, which was further preventing her system from bouncing back. Once she was force-fed at the vet's her appetite came right back (and she was vibrant again in no time). Make sure to keep an eye on your hen's eating habits and weight so you don't get to that point. Wasting can accompany heart issues.

Also, if you're able to build a temporary pen (or put her in a large dog crate) someplace cool like in the house or basement--only for those peak hours of the day--it might be enough to take the edge off. We even pair Buffy with a friend sometimes... In this heat it's kinda like a girl's spa trip (or reverse sauna!).

Anyway, I'm sure you've already considered the above and then some. I hope your hen is getting better. It's frustrating to watch them suffer and not be able to tell you what's wrong! I hope you find more answers--and please do keep me posted.

P.S. Thank you for the heartening cat anecdote. Sounds like she had a good, well-loved life :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190818_142845.jpg
    IMG_20190818_142845.jpg
    614.1 KB · Views: 4
heart issues are more common than acknowledged
Probably, but not many folks are able to access a good vet as you are.

someplace cool like in the house or basement--only for those peak hours of the day--it might be enough to take the edge off.
I have done this in the winter, bring them someplace slightly warmer(not too much of difference-can cause shock going wither way) just for a couple-few hours, and give them a dose of electrolytes. Called the temperature 'reset' by @BantyChooks . Saved a couple of my birds one winter. Now I give electrolytes regularly in both hot and cold temperature extremes, has made a big difference.

Of course. I'm glad it might be helping you troubleshoot. Buffy's symptoms were vague yet unsettling. In retrospect, she was always the first to breathe mouth agape and the last to stop on warmer days. That was a sign.

I now have an inkling that, especially for hens bred to mature quickly, heart issues are more common than acknowledged (interestingly, I read that necropsies done on 2 year-old production hens like ISA browns found organs that were flabby and darkened--yet other breeds of the same age showed little internal wear). I'm not a doctor though so grain of salt!

The one thing I learned to be extra vigilant about w/ Buffy is to monitor her feed intake. We almost lost her because, by the time she was showing visible signs of distress, she was refusing to eat altogether. Buffy had likely been consuming less and less over the past week from accumulated heat stress and we didn't notice, which was further preventing her system from bouncing back. Once she was force-fed at the vet's her appetite came right back (and she was vibrant again in no time). Make sure to keep an eye on your hen's eating habits and weight so you don't get to that point. Wasting can accompany heart issues.

Also, if you're able to build a temporary pen (or put her in a large dog crate) someplace cool like in the house or basement--only for those peak hours of the day--it might be enough to take the edge off. We even pair Buffy with a friend sometimes... In this heat it's kinda like a girl's spa trip (or reverse sauna!).

Anyway, I'm sure you've already considered the above and then some. I hope your hen is getting better. It's frustrating to watch them suffer and not be able to tell you what's wrong! I hope you find more answers--and please do keep me posted.

P.S. Thank you for the heartening cat anecdote. Sounds like she had a good, well-loved life :)
Thank you for the tips. I’m wondering if a heart murmur is something an untrained person could detect. In the house is not allowed by my husband, but I was sitting her in a tub or cool water when she seemed the most distressed. This is so heartbreaking. My daughter had wanted another barred rock since hers was taken by a hawk a few years ago. She’s such a sweet girl' my daughter worked hard to really keep her people friendly, as she grew from a chick. Someone else suggested it could be worms and frankly, I’m hoping it could be thar' but the symptoms like the open mouth breathing when the others aren’t match her very well.

Probably, but not many folks are able to access a good vet as you are.

I have done this in the winter, bring them someplace slightly warmer(not too much of difference-can cause shock going wither way) just for a couple-few hours, and give them a dose of electrolytes. Called the temperature 'reset' by @BantyChooks . Saved a couple of my birds one winter. Now I give electrolytes regularly in both hot and cold temperature extremes, has made a big difference.
Yes! We've been using rooster booster and it has worked tremendously for the flock. Thanks for mentioning that!

Back
Top Bottom