Heartbroken duck

hugaduck

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 23, 2011
We have (or should I say Had) two pekin ducks which we have raised since ducklings almost six years ago. Poop 'n Fifi were inseparable since birth. Poop is a drake and Fifi a duck. Last Sunday, Fifi was not feeling well being lethargic, not eating, although she did finish her share of tomatoes and greens they have every evening. By Monday morning she did not want to get up. She was sitting by the water bowl inside of the house we have for them. By Monday afternoon, I was scouring the internet for information on how to help her, when my husband came home from work, checked on her and said she had passed away. Poop was sitting with her. Since Fifi has been gone, Poop is one sad duck. The first morning, he walked the yard calling and looking for her. Now that he cannot find her, he is depressed and simply heartbroken. He is not eating his pellets, although he does eat his tomatoes and greens. I have put electrolyte/vitamin powder in his drinking water and have added to his greens. He sits next to the fencing which is the play yard for our bunnies (Yes we have 10 buns). One bunny sits next to him on the other side of the fence with him when Poop is there. It is heartbreaking to see him so sad. I do not believe he will suvive let alone thrive if we don't do something. We all miss Fifi.

My question for all of the duck owner/lovers out there is this. Should I introduce a duck (if I can find one) to give him the companionship he so obviously needs? I would hate to rehome him into an established flock not knowing if he would be treated well or if he would be the bottom of the pecking order. We do not want to rid ourselves of him, because we love our ducks, but we want him to be happy. If we do bring a female in (and likely a second one later) do we keep them separated by fencing inside their home until they are introduced? Their area is a 14 x 14 barn (insulated with lights and heat)with the floor space to the ducks and bunny condos built off the floor on each side for the buns. The ducks are allowed to free range the yard during the day, but shut inside their house at night and when it is too cold or inclement during the day.

We live on an Island and we do not have easy access to other duck owners, although there is one on the Island that I will be talking with today. In hindsight, had I known, I would have introduced a second duck earlier so the loss of one would not have been so traumatic. Unfortunately for us, we do not have easy access to a vetrinarian (he doesn't do ducks), let alone an Avian Vet, so when things go south with our animals, (and it happens quickly), it is more difficult to deal with. Any and all advice would be welcome to this sad household.

I do not know much about ducks, but I beileve he would benifit from a new buddy. Hopefully this will bump your post so others with experience can help. Good luck, and I am so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Thank you for your kind words. Our ducks have brought much joy to our lives and hopefully we provide them with a happy, safe life.

I agree the more the better, if you could bring in 2 females it would even be better, and I wouldn't worry too much about separating unless your worried about Poop catching someting from the girls you bring in. He'll probably be esstatic when he sees them. So sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

We are in Wisconsin. Duck rescue would be a good possibility considering the duck(s) would be going to a very good loving home. Our rabbits came from a poor situation. There were three, and unfortunately by the time we figured out there was a male in with the two females, we had 17 baby bunnies in six weeks. We quickly became educated on sexing the buns. Adopted eight out and sadly lost two, but the remaining 10 are now happily and comfortably living the good life in their forever home. I couldn't adopt any more out as it was too heartwrenching wondering if they were going to a good home. Same for our ducks, they have a forever home here. Nothing is too good for our animals which also include our 15 year old dog and Kiti our cat with attitude.

Last edited:
Sounds like a wonderful place to have animals, and forgot our manners....
welcome-byc.gif

we have a wonderful rescue here in NC close to Charlotte that always has ducks geese swans etc for adoption, hopefully you'll be able to find something in your area.
fl.gif

I am over on the west side of Wisconsin...I am sure if your willing to travel a bit to get some you will find some! We have a ton on craigslist around us
smile.png
not many rescues for ducks around us either actually there's none. But there's a few duck people that breed
smile.png

I would love to know how this story ends. I had two ducks for 2 years & this week we lost one. Our lone duck cries all day looking for her sister. It is awful.
I have the same question about getting her a new friend. Will she bond with a new duck? Or was it because they were raised together & a new one won't help her grief? It is very sad. We have chickens but they offer no comfort to her at all.
Did you get a new duck & how did it turn out?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom