Heartbroken

MickeysChicks

Songster
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
South Carolina
Tonight I am absolutely heartbroken! When I went out to collect eggs this morning I discovered feathers all over my yard and I first thought it was molting gone crazy. Then as I came up to the baby coop I saw a horrible sight! Apparently we had a predator last night, it dug under the fence destroying part of the framing around the coop run door. We lost 5 pullets and our beautiful EE Rooster , Casanova they were all 6 months old. Judging from where I found him , he died saving a Mahogany Buff. She was the only one with no injuries. My favorite Cochin was a solid white named Cotton, she died in my arms while I was cleaning her up and putting antibiotic spray on her wounds. We have 2 Cochins and a Salmon Favarolle that are injured and quarantined in a large dog crate and taking up a corner of the big girls coop run. We put the Mahogany in the big coop, hopefully the older girls will take care of her. When my husband got home he took care of the dead birds and double checked the big coop for security problems. He says that the paw prints in the dirt look like a large cat, we have heard rumors that a bobcat had been spotted in the area. Please pray that my injured babies make it!

I am so sorry to hear of your predator attack, I had a very similar attack on my baby coop last month. I lost my 3 month old babies (4 of them). But mine was a feral dog pack, which was very upsetting b/c we are dog lovers too. One of my babies was a salmon faverolle, Flower. I hope your survivors pull thru. We now have hot wire all around the coop, so if the dogs return, we should hear some yelping. They had tried to gain access to the big coop, based on the damage we saw but they were unsuccessful. I suggest hot wire fencing and a trail cam - it is so heartbreaking to feel like I failed to keep them safe. I am sorry for your losses.

I'm sorry for your loss :hugs
thEC8MVRMX.jpg
bobcat track rounded toes with claws retracted . I would try and mount it if I was you . It will return be ready.

Thanks everybody! Checked on everybody this morning and so far so good.The Mahogany Buff is being chased by a couple of the older hens but I did see her eating from the big feeder and a couple of my younger hens seem to be guarding her while she eats. The 3 injured girls were moving very carefully around the cage and they had emptied their waterer so thats good! We had a good rainstorm last night and unfortunately the tarp over the cage leaked over half the cage....cleaned that out and replaced the shavings. It is a large tarp so I refolded it so that is now 4 layers thick, hopefully that takes care of the leak! The good thing about the rain is it washed the dead chicken smell away now there is just wet feathers all over the yard. I miss hearing Casanova crowing :(.

Back
Top Bottom