Heat Exhaustion

kdini2

Chirping
May 18, 2019
Unfortunately one of my hens suffered from heat exhaustion despite having shade and water. I believed she was bullied away from the water.

I dunked her and brought her inside and placed her in a dog crate. The first night she was very lethargic. The next day she developed wry neck. I was able to fix that in a day by feeding her egg with additional vitamin e and electrolytes.

My main concern is that it's been 3 1/2 days and she still isn't eating or drinking on her own and still requires me to feed her with a syringe. She is alert, can stand, and has good color in her comb. Her tail is drooping and has had diarrhea. I can't feel any hardness in her abdomen that would suggest egg binding. How long does it take a hen to recover from heat exhaustion? She's three years old Easter Egger. Thank you for your help.

If you can get Poultry NutriDrench I would give her 2 ml daily into her beak (in additions to the vitamin E.) You can tube feed her water and thin foods such as raw egg, plain yogurt, and very water chicken feed. She might have some underlying problem, but time will tell. Put some more water sources around their ranging areas, where everyone can get water.

I agree, get her some nutridrench. Often times they suffer from a vitamin a deficiency as well, which might be the case here. If nutridrench does not work you have an under lying problem. Sorry about your girl

Back
Top Bottom