cityfarmchick

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2019
E005EE47-BB03-4300-8B58-D474E64A323C.jpeg
3C7B8976-4D1A-4CC9-8A06-18FBB76187A1.jpeg
My babies, 4 chicks and 2 ducks are in the bathroom. We keep it 70 degrees in house, the bathroom is in the middle of house and close the bathroom door so it stays warmer. They are approx 1 week old and I am concerned about fire hazard. Especially since the bathroom is on the other side of my kids bedroom. Would they be ok for 8 hours without a heat lamp? I’ve seen so many mixed reviews. Thanks for all your help!

No, baby chicks need constant heat. We usually have a heat lamp being used somewhere on our property, and we've never had a fire. Just make sure the heat lamp is secure, and won't fall, and you should be fine. Some feed stores sell a "cage" you can put over the heat lamp bulb, so that if it falls, the cage will keep it from touching the ground. You could even brace the heat lamp from below some how, and that would almost guarantee fire safety. Hope this helps!

Downside of the heat lamp is you need to have it on all the time.

I'm a little concerned about how they're all mashed up against the waterer there... some of the chicks (could be a duck?) look damp. The heat lamp should the placed on the side opposite the water and food, to encourage them to sleep there instead. There needs to be a warm and cool side to a brooder.

I would get a regular light bulb, and just lower it closer to the ground. Considering that your house is 70 degrees already, i think they would be just fine if they huddle up under it.

How big is your brooder because when my chicks are inside the house with a year lamp I put a metal window screen on top in case the heat lamp falls. There shouldn't be any other causes of fire though.

Also now many chicks do you have because there are smaller brooder feeders and waters that help not take up so much room

Looks like you need more space to me. Heat lamps if secured properly is not an issue. For chicks I don't use a heat lamp. I use a heating pad to brood them. Very cheap to run, safe and very effective. 50watts compared to 175watt or 250watt heat lamps. I currently have 17 one week old chicks on it now.
KIMG0431.jpg KIMG0432.jpg KIMG0578.jpg
One can be made including heat pad for under $20

Last edited:
D89E886C-D1A6-4CA3-B5EA-9EC83DCC98D1.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
D89E886C-D1A6-4CA3-B5EA-9EC83DCC98D1.jpeg
image.jpg
Thanks everyone! They have lots of space, this (above in purple bin) was a temporary situation so we could fix their space. We have an awesome setup and I am no longer worried about the lamp. We have just left it on all night and worked great!

Back
Top Bottom