Heat Lamp Bulbs

Quote:
We put ours about 15 inches off the floor with one of the reflector things. Be sure the chicks have room to get away if it's too hot. If they huddle they're cold. If they move away they're too warm.

Here's a couple of dumb question from a newbie - I just got my chicks today, and they seem quite happy under a 250 watt white bulb in a brooder lamp, but - doesn't the light bother them??? I know I couldn't sleep with a 250 watt bulb right over my head! Is the red bulb better?

Also, they are in a box with a lid that we lifted partially up and inserted triangular panels on the sides between the lid and sides, so the lid is held part way open. To access the chicks, you lift the lid higher. Because the lid is over the whole box, we have the lamp suspended from the lid. The temp right underneath it seems to fluctuate from about 95 to 105, mostly depending upon how many chicks are blocking the heat by sitting on the thermometer. Is that too hot for them? We can't get the lamp any further away from them. I can replace it with a 175 watt, but that won't get it above 82 in there. They are running around, drinking, eating, then most of them (11 total) gang up in the middle and nap a bit, then someone must call "chow time!" because they all run over to the feeder and waterer again, have a nosh, then after a bit it's naptime again. They are sleeping mostly a little off center from under the lamp. Is this ok? I'll check in the morning to make sure it isn't getting any hotter in there after the sun hits the house. They are in an insulated but unheated addition.

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm new to this and want to take the best care of my chicks.

If they're sleeping just slightly off-center of the light it's because it's too hot directly under it, but just perfect in the outer edge of it.

105 is too hot! You really want 90-95* which is probably where your chicks are naturally regulating to by sitting in the outer edge of the light.

They will sleep better under a red light, but they can sleep under a white one as well.

Sounds like you are paying attention to their response, which is more valid than a formula like 95-100 the first week, etc. You might soon find a dimmer switch useful since you can't really change the height. Heat lamps use lots of electricity; sure showed up on my electric bill. I hope you have a backup way to secure the light so if the primary one fails, the light won't fall to the litter and start a fire. (I use metal clothesline wire, just to give an example.)

Lots of folks use white instead of red and never have a problem. However, if you start to see any aggressive pecking, changing to red is one way to address it. It's like they don't see the red as well, which doesn't even make sense because they make those red feeder and waterer bases red because it is supposed to attract chicks. Good example of a frequent problem of this enterprise: no one really knows, so we are just comparing notes and doing the best we can.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help, both of you. Right now it looks as though we will be changing the bulb- the more powerful one at night, as it is still 30's at night sometimes, and a 175 during the day.
They seem pretty happy, and do tend to move towards or away from the heat source as it suits them.
Right this minute there are huge goings on in the brooder, as a really stupid spider went in there. They are having a blast chasing after it and fighting over whose spider it is. Fast little buggers!

One of the Orps got it. Ate it. The rest continue to look for it. Do chicks need toys?? Or at least, would they appreciate a little fun? What could I give them? They are currently testing their surroundings by pecking at the inch high board that runs all around the brooder, just in case it's good to eat. Or perhaps in case the spider had friends. They seem as though they are hungry, but they have plenty of starter, which they loved yesterday but no one seems interested in right now.

Carol

Red Heat lamp bulbs are available in wattages from 75 up at any large pet store, but for what they cost I would recommend using the ceramic equlivalent. These people have the best prices I've found http://www.petmountain.com Note these last at a minimum 3 times as long as a red bulb, and I've some that I've been using for at least 10 years.

Last edited:
Hey Cars, I sometimes use a 100 watt red flood light bulb depending on the space needed to be heated they work well for small brooders. Few bucks at fleet farm or walmart otherwise like others have said petsmart and big pet supply stores have infared heat lamps for reptiles but you will pay a small fortune for one.

FYI ,,I was using white bulbs at first , called Mcmurray and they said chicks will not sleep as well with a bright white bulbs switched to a REAL heat lamp (not just red ) birds are much happier , also regular bulbs put out as much heat in watts as they use consume , leds and compact floresents are rated in watts like a regular bulb would put out in LIGHT ; only their heat output is the same as there consumption of energy, no good for heat !! to reduce temps get an extension cord and a wiring box and put a regular dimmer in line ( I prefer the knob type ) then you can have 0 to 250 watts !! annnnd you could put a Christmas tree timer in the mix as well if needed

FWIW I went red-bulb shopping just this morning, as I wasn't sure the 125w in my plywood hover brooder was going to be quite enough for moving the 2 wk old broiler chicks out to the 55F chicken building.

I ended up buying a 100w red lightbulb-style bulb for $1.99; the other choices were 40w (also $1.99), 100w or 125w or 175w (floodlight style, $3.99-$6.99 IIRC, that's Canadian dollars).

You really DO NOT NEED a "heat lamp" bulb per se -- anything with the desired wattage will be converting the vast majority of that wattage into heat and work FINE as a brooder bulb.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom