heat lamp fire?

Pics

Duck mommy 2019

Crowing
Apr 1, 2019
i have a heat lamp bulb hung about 2 feet above our feed bags. along with a heater it’s staying on 24/7 to keep this space warm for the ducks who are in it during the day

If you must use a heat lamp, be sure it has the metal guard hanging below the bulb so there aren't any burned feathers. Only thing worse than burned feathers is burned birds.
it’s too far up to even touch the ducks, but we just have the bulb not the other part

it’s too far up to even touch the ducks, but we just have the bulb not the other part
If it were to fall the metal guard would keep the bulb from breaking. I don’t use heat lamps, I prefer radiant heaters for so many reasons. For one thing, it isn’t a fire hazard and the constant light from heat lamps is not great, the radiant heater does not have that.

The guard will also prevent the bulb from touching the feed sacks should it fall. I didn't have a guard on the heat lamps I purchased years ago, but I went to the store where I bought them and the clerk gave me one free of charge. He says people almost never pick up the metal guard when they purchase a heat lamp and he had dozens left over that weren't labeled to sell separately.

What state are you in?

I doubt that your ducks need added heat at all. If I recall yours are all fully feathered and old enough to lay/mate.
they stay indoors at night so during the day being outside would be too big of a temp drop. so heated room outdoors is what we are usinh

What state are you in?

I doubt that your ducks need added heat at all. If I recall yours are all fully feathered and old enough to lay/mate.
It’s winter in many places. I’ve got friends in Idaho who are cranking their house up to 90! They certainly should never be denied extra heat in the winter. I mean try turning your heat off! It gets cold! If it’s snowy or very cold, then a heat lamp is never a bad idea.

yes I know ducks and humans are very different, but one universal thing is that we all get cold!

Last edited:
It’s winter in many places. I’ve got friends in Idaho who are cranking their house up to 90! I’d say that there’s no reason these ducks don’t deserve added heat. If it’s snowy or even just very cold than a heat lamp is never a bad idea.

yes I know ducks and humans are very different, but one universal thing, is we all get cold!
yep!! i’ve even heard people say ducks can’t feel cold, but atleast mine definitely can.

It’s winter in many places. I’ve got friends in Idaho who are cranking their house up to 90! I’d say that there’s no reason these ducks don’t deserve added heat. If it’s snowy or even just very cold than a heat lamp is never a bad idea.

yes I know ducks and humans are very different, but one universal thing, is we all get cold!
how do you do your heat lamp to make sure it is safe?

Back
Top Bottom