Heat Lamp Losing Power?

Keeperoflock

Songster
Mar 10, 2018
Central Indiana
Ok, I've noticed something weird about my heat lamp. At night before I go to bed the brooder temp says 92/93. When I get up it will say somewhere around 87. Is it possible for the lamp to weaken? There's no drafting going on and the sides of my brooder are 3 feet high or possibly a bit higher. I'm beginning to have a pasty butt issue and I've got to get it solved and quick. Thanks

Ok, I've noticed something weird about my heat lamp. At night before I go to bed the brooder temp says 92/93. When I get up it will say somewhere around 87. Is it possible for the lamp to weaken? There's no drafting going on and the sides of my brooder are 3 feet high or possibly a bit higher. I'm beginning to have a pasty butt issue and I've got to get it solved and quick. Thanks
Room temp will change brooder temps.
egg chick crack.gif

At night before I go to bed the brooder temp says 92/93.
Where do you have the thermometer that is measuring the heat?
It should be on the brooder floor directly under the lamp.

Here's my notes on chick heat, hope something in there might help:

They need to be pretty warm(~85-90F on the brooder floor right under the lamp and 10-20 degrees cooler at the other end of brooder) for the first day or two, especially if they have been shipped, until they get to eating, drinking and moving around well. But after that it's best to keep them as cool as possible for optimal feather growth and quicker acclimation to outside temps. A lot of chick illnesses are attributed to too warm of a brooder. I do think it's a good idea to use a thermometer on the floor of the brooder to check the temps, especially when new at brooding, later I still use it but more out of curiosity than need.

The best indicator of heat levels is to watch their behavior:
If they are huddled/piled up right under the lamp and cheeping very loudly, they are too cold.
If they are spread out on the absolute edges of the brooder as far from the lamp as possible, panting and/or cheeping very loudly, they are too hot.
If they sleep around the edge of the lamp calmly just next to each other and spend time running all around the brooder they are juuuust right!

The lamp is best at one end of the brooder with food/water at the other cooler end of the brooder, so they can get away from the heat or be under it as needed. Wattage of 'heat' bulb depends on size of brooder and ambient temperature of room brooder is in. Regular incandescent bulbs can be used, you might not need a 'heat bulb'. You can get red colored incandescent bulbs at a reptile supply source. A dimmer extension cord is an excellent way to adjust the output of the bulb to change the heat without changing the height of the lamp.

I bought a digital thermometer and sat it on the floor and right under the lamp, like you said. I have been able to get a better handle on controlling the heat. I've begun dropping the temp and that seems to help as well. I'm going to have to change brooders though. I now have 17 chicks and the original one is just almost too small. They still have room to run around but..... they are gonna get bigger for sure. I've added vinegar to their water and have "unpasted" their bottoms (that as fun, lol). They got lots of hugs and snuggles... Most times they sleep under the light but sometimes they are at the outer edges. No panting or wing spreading though. No loud yells. The lamp is at one end and food in the middle.

I really like the idea of a dimmer on the light. I'm gonna have to find one of them. More control. Also hubby made it possible for me to raise and lower the light (red heat light 125 watts) via a bar right above. Before I had to clamp it to the side of the brooder which has high sides but at that time I was using a 250 watt heat bulb. It was way too hot then. Poor babies, ugh.

Thank you for your wonderful help. I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom