Heat Lamp

lrsmith91

Hatching
Mar 10, 2020
Hi there! I am getting ready to get some baby chicks and I was curious if a red or white bulb for the heat lamp makes any difference. Thanks!

Hi there! I am getting ready to get some baby chicks and I was curious if a red or white bulb for the heat lamp makes any difference. Thanks!
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

It makes a huge difference with red being preferred as it allows chicks to sleep more peacefully. The white light penetrates the skull more disrupting sleep pattern. Chicks are more relaxed and content in the red light.

I have replaced so many bulbs... plus the cost of electricity this will cover itself in the first brooding session, plus decrease fire risk..
https://www.amazon.com/RentACoop-Ch...0TV7573GF1A&psc=1&refRID=FSJ2SN2HF0TV7573GF1A

Get the lamp with a ceramic base ( that you screw the bulb into). It gets very hot! Also a thermometer so you know what temperature is in the area under the lamp. You will need to decrease the distance of the lamp over time to gradually lower the temperature.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

It makes a huge difference with red being preferred as it allows chicks to sleep more peacefully. The white light penetrates the skull more disrupting sleep pattern. Chicks are more relaxed and content in the red light.

I have replaced so many bulbs... plus the cost of electricity this will cover itself in the first brooding session, plus decrease fire risk..
https://www.amazon.com/RentACoop-Ch...0TV7573GF1A&psc=1&refRID=FSJ2SN2HF0TV7573GF1A

Get the lamp with a ceramic base ( that you screw the bulb into). It gets very hot! Also a thermometer so you know what temperature is in the area under the lamp. You will need to decrease the distance of the lamp over time to gradually lower the temperature.

I appreciate the advice! Thank you!

See BYC works again I had this question come to mind this morning, I have both red and white past history teaches me white lamps are more prone to cook surrounding things causing fire possiblities, but thank you for already asking. If you haven’t bought a lamp yet, Tractor Supply sells a starter kit with lamp red bulb feeder and water for like 20 bucks

Back
Top Bottom