Heat lamp?

ChickadeeMom

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
West Virginia
i have 5 americana (sp?) chicks and my boyfriend has 5 california whites and 5 of ideals hybrid of them i guess is what they are....anywho.. i had an issue with our 1st batch of chicks and out of 25 we only saved like 9 (we got 'added for warmth' roosters as well) they reshipped the hens we lost plus more rooster buddies (and i added 2 more chicks to my origional order of 3 americanas:yiipchick) so now we have 3-4 week olds and 2-3 weeks olds. they are causing a ton of commotion, 'flying the coop' and spilling their water and all the crazy chickadee things.

my question is..... when can i take the heat lamp off of them?? i cant put my lid on until the lamp is off....i tried to and it melted my lid around my wire.

if pictures of my box and its placement are necessary i can post them

PS- the chicks are stored inside in both of our bedrooms.... i think i converted my boyfriend into a ChickadeePop hehehe

thanks a bunch!!

Last edited:
for every week old they are, you can decrease the heat by 5 degrees.

So if they start out at 100 degrees in the bator, week 2 can be 95 degrees and so on until they are feathered out or temperature is simliar to outside.

Last edited:
i have just a regular heat lamp any suggestions on how to adjust the temp?? should i just raise it higher each week?

i dont mind keeping them inside but i just cant have them living in the dogs cage or on my bed when they fly out....my pup isnt 2 happy about that.

I have my lamp on a dimmer. It was $10 bucks at home depot. It's a 300watt lamp dimmer. Then you don't have to keep moving the lamp or buy a new smaller bulb.

home depot here i come
big_smile.png
thanks
smile.png

You're so welcome! I tried my hardest to find a plug in thermostat but they're expensive. The dimmer is working pretty well so far. This is my first time brooding chicks...

i have eggs in my bator now but i dont think they are gonna hatch i candled and see nothing...of course i have no idea what exactly to look for...im on day 24 and still nothing... no movement or anything.
and i have chicks in my brooder in my bedroom, so i can watch at night
smile.png
both are 1st time experiences for me

i will surely be getting one tomorrow... thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom