Heat Lamps Properly Secured !! Pictures

When do you turn your heat lamp on?

• Total voters
Am I the only one with pictures around here of a heat lamp setup ????? Come on !!!
Maybe I'm just the only one dumb enough to take the backlash that goes along with posting a picture of it. :oops::lau

Yours looks rock solid compared to mine when I do it. Good job. I just make sure that the clamp and the part attached to the bulb can't fall. My coop is metal with a dirt floor, so I'm not too concerned about fire.

My radiant heat lamp is hung securely in the sky ... turns on at dawn ... off at dusk ... seems to be hotter in the summer months ... just look up! ;)

I'm hearing lots of reports that it's beginning to take a bit of nap, and we might be in for a colder climate. Some are even talking the beginning of a mini ice age. brrrr!

Am I the only one with pictures around here of a heat lamp setup ????? Come on !!!

Maybe your the only one using those fire hazards :oops::lau:gig Just kidding, really! As long as you have them secured well, far enough away from anything that could catch fire from the heat and feel you need them, use them.

There will always be different opinions on ways to raise chickens. If I did use a heat lamp I would post pictures of very secured set up. Do not use the Teflon coated, shatter proof heat lamps. When Teflon is heated(not sure to what temp) it gives off gasses that will kill birds, even pet parrots with Teflon pans heated to hot in a kitchen.

I don't use any heat and I keep my front windows open 24/7 like in the picture. Also my front and back roof sofits are open. We will be in the upper teens tonight, but our temps don't stay that cold for long periods. When I lived in SE PA, I didn't use heat either and the temps were pretty cold.

thumbnail.jpg

@blackdog043 in all fairness I have a cozy coop heater due to arrive tomorrow. I'm not so worried about cold itself but cold and very damp is what has me concerned. It's been 15° and they have been fine but the humidity was real low also. Tonight 0° and high humidity from the current events taking place now (rain). Welcome to New England

I’m in Ontario and we’re in a cold snap right now (-25C or -13f). Colder with the wind. My coop is insulated and ventilated, the girls do warm it up a few degrees.

I would never use a heat lamp, but I have considered some sort of flat panel heater. I wouldn’t want it turning on until it hits -15C (5f). This is the temp where my girls start getting pretty puffy, but if the power went out they would still be fairly acclimated.
My current flock is still quite young, but as they get older they might appreciate it.

@blackdog043 in all fairness I have a cozy coop heater due to arrive tomorrow. I'm not so worried about cold itself but cold and very damp is what has me concerned. It's been 15° and they have been fine but the humidity was real low also. Tonight 0° and high humidity from the current events taking place now (rain). Welcome to New England
A heater or heat lamp is not going to do much to alleviate that situation.

With adequate ventilation...you can't heat and/or dehumidify the your whole world.
Frostbite is pretty inevitable in many climates.
I got it, it may help though no denying that.May warm up enough if they go in front of it from time to time to help get warmed back up and increase circulation in that area.

Back
Top Bottom