Heat plates

M Brennen

Songster
Jun 15, 2020
Northern Vermont
This is our first time using heat plates instead of the heat light on our baby chicks. We got them Thursday and they seemed to be doing well. I had thirty chickens under two 12x12 heat plates. This morning I found one of the babies dead under the middle of one of the heat plate. Does anyone with experience with the heat plates have any idea what could have been the problem? I wish not to have it happen again.

This is our first time using heat plates instead of the heat light on our baby chicks. We got them Thursday and they seemed to be doing well. I had thirty chickens under two 12x12 heat plates. This morning I found one of the babies dead under the middle of one of the heat plate. Does anyone with experience with the heat plates have any idea what could have been the problem? I wish not to have it happen again.
I use heat plates when I raise chicks too. I would doubt it was the heat plate as they rarely get hotter then 102 degrees Fahrenheit. I would assume it had some other problem going on that lead to its untimely demise. If you could preform a necropsy that would be the best way to tell for sure.

I use heat plates when I raise chicks too. I would doubt it was the heat plate as they rarely get hotter then 102 degrees Fahrenheit. I would assume it had some other problem going on that lead to its untimely demise. If you could preform a necropsy that would be the best way to tell for sure.
Thanks. It has been getting really cold at night. Is it possible that the birds clumped together under the center of the plate and crushed the little thing?

I was afraid that might have been the problem. Should the babies stay under the plates all night or are they supposed to come out to eat? We have an LED red light on one end of the box and they seem to be crowding that end at night.

I would think the chick either was not 100% healthy or crushed. Was the chick located directly in the center when you lifted the heat plate? or stuck in a corner or against the wall? I have only used the heat plate once before but I kept it pulled several inches away from the tote walls so that chicks would not get stuck against the wall. Also make sure the plate is low enough that it almost touches their backs when they stand up. I saw a nice video that has the front legs higher than the back. I thought this was good because they could move around easily and adjust for warmth as well.

The chick was directly in the center. I had the plates quite low and they seemed to be fine for the first three nights. I lifted the front of both plates earlier today and the birds seemed to be congregating on the lower end so I dropped one back down, I have them pulled away from the wall so they can go under on all sides.

The chick was directly in the center. I had the plates quite low and they seemed to be fine for the first three nights. I lifted the front of both plates earlier today and the birds seemed to be congregating on the lower end so I dropped one back down, I have them pulled away from the wall so they can go under on all sides.
You’ll need to continually adjust it up as they grow. If they are being quiet, they are happy.

Back
Top Bottom