Heat Warning Today, 99 in the Shade

Gracefulspice

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Pa
I did all I could think of to help keep my chickens cool today. They are calling for a day with temps of 99 in the shade. Heat index of 106.
th.gif
I put ice, and electrolites, in their water, laid out frozen 2 liter bottles, bags of ice cubes and freeze packs. About 5 in all. I even took my daughters snow sled, put in their run and filled it with approx 2 in. of cold water. I have to work today and I kow I'll be nervous about them the whole time.
barnie.gif
I'm lucky enough to be able to come home during the worst part of the day. I know the australorp seems to take the heat the worse. I can't think of anything else to do. Please send good vibes out for my girls today.

I've been doing this all my life for my dogs, but in today's paper, there was a story on how to beat the heat and in the part about animals, it said to provide cool water, but no ice, because it could "shock the system." Here's the quote:

Other things people can do to help animals survive a heat wave:

Leave them home: Don't take pets anywhere you'll have to leave them in the car.

Keep them shaded: Animals sunburn like people, so if they're outside, make sure they have access to shade.

Provide water: Leave plenty of clean, cool water, with no ice, which can shock their systems.
Beware of hot surfaces: Hot sand and scorching pavement can blister the feet pads.

Limit exercise: Walk dogs only in the cool hours of the morning or late evening.

I took this with a grain of salt knowing how many mistakes of fact I find in the paper each day. Anyone ever hear of this?​

We are haveing the same problem here. HOT HOT HOT!!! Supposed to be near 98 today, heat index of 105 to 110.! Hell has broke loose!!! My poor birds....All we can do is keep fresh water....and a fan. Im hopeing all make it through....
fl.gif

Here's Raleigh's forecast for the rest of the week:

Today
IsolatedTstms
Hi 102°F

Tonight
IsolatedTstms
Lo 76°F

Wednesday
Slight Chc Tstms
Hi 103°F

WednesdayNight
Slight Chc Tstms
Lo 77°F

Thursday
Isolated Tstms
Hi 102°F

Thursday Night
Isolated Tstms
Lo 76°F

Friday
Hot
Hi 99°F

Friday Night
Partly Cloudy
Lo 75°F

Saturday
Mostly Sunny
Hi 95°F

I live in Nebraska and the heat index got up to 105 yesterday with the humidity. The humidity was so bad it was actually foggy yesterday! I dont mean a haze, I mean full on damp FOG!

My poor chickens weathered it well, I know mine love me to give them a lil ice water, but it melts right away.

Its just awful out there, with forcast going higher.

Jill

I just got home and all my hens are doing well. I just dumped 10 gallons of hose water on the ground so they can traump through it.
D.gif
Another hen is in the nest box laying on the ice.
clap.gif
I'm so glad she's finally using it. It's the Australorp. I have always put ice in the water on real hot days. It does melt super quick, and it seems to keep it cold long enough for me to get home. I'll keep doing the ice water...but thanks I'll always keep the shock thing in the back of my head and be sure not to over do it. Luck has a nice breeze coming down the field too today.
yippiechickie.gif
Not constant, but anything helps right now. My thoughts are out to all those hot hot chickens on a day like today. I hope all your's are doing well also. Good vibes to your chickens too.
hugs.gif

Oh it is so freaking hot here today!!! Glad to hear your hens did alright. I would have been worried sick.
I have wading pools for the chickens & everyday I've been giving them a whole watermelon. Lots of fresh water.
If any of yall have a soaker hose they work great to keeping your animals cool.
Wacky weather for us, July was the wettest & coolest we've had in quite some time.Now we're paying for it big time
sad.png
I'm ready for fall.........

chickonaroost .... Im in Jennings county. Well...im on the very far eastern part...in a small town called Butlerville. ( Im actually in Nebraska,Indiana...but we were incorporated into Butlerville zipcode.)
I went out today.....everyone has 2 or 3 watering stations...some they can wade in...all in the shade. Fan is going...I just worry about the CornishX. They get soo hot so easily. I saw my turrkey standing in thier water dish...so I took an old wheelbarrow....took the legs and wheel off..plugged the holes with bolts and washers...and filled it with water for them. They seem to like it...standing in the middle of it!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom