Heat wave and how hot is too hot

marzullol

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
South of Atlanta Georgia
This weekend we are expect to reach up to 106.... yikes

I have three week olds outside in a coop and have been keeping the red light on along with letting them roam in the run with a fan during the day. Just got back from scooting them into the coop and am concerned about them getting too hot at night so I left the fan on in the run, so they might get some breeze. They also have water in the coop along with a waterer in the run for day time

Also received chicks this week one set wednesday and another set today. We have been keeping them in the shop under a red light in a livestock water tank. It was over 100 under the red light when I checked on them. I moved the brooder a little more away from the light since the little ones were spread out all over the place sleeping. Check to make sure they had plenty of water.

Any suggestions for helping the little ones beat the heat this weekend? Would it be okay to remove the red light from the coop on the three week olds? Should I put a fan in the shop so the babies will have a breeze?

I would definitely remove the light on the 3-week-olds.

New chicks need the temp to be about 95. By a week old, reduce it to 90, by 2 weeks old, 85 and by 3 weeks old you can reduce it to 80. If your temps are 106, the last thing they need is added heat. You may find even the new hatchlings don't need supplemental heat - just keep an eye on them. If they are spread out, they don't need it. If they start to huddle at night, add a little heat.

Make sure they have plenty of water and ventilation. You may see them holding their wings out and panting a little. Those are normal ways of cooling down and nothing to be concerned about. If they start to make noise while breathing, that is a sign of distress. In that case, cool them down by sticking their feet in a bowl of cool (not icy) water.

Possibly put a milk jug of frozen water in with them at one end of their brooder. If they stay close ot it you'll know the're too hot.

Possibly put a milk jug of frozen water in with them at one end of their brooder. If they stay close ot it you'll know the're too hot.
Ditto on the above suggestion: I never used a red light but for a couple hours in the early morning because I am "off-grid" with a limited supply of solar energy. Instead, I use mason jars filled with boiled water & wrapped in wool or cotton for heat thru the night, & frozen water to cool the chicks during the day. They will huddle around or perch on top if the temp of the jar is more comfortable than the brooder air. I don't know if you really need anything where you are: my brooder is a kiddy pool outside & it was anywhere between 55 & 65 at night their 3rd week. I have over 35 chicks so the huddle is enough to keep them warm. Cooling is a little tricker: Shade is a must, & sometimes a mist from a spray bottle if they are panting is something else I've been told though never had to do. Good luck with that heat! I know ya'll get crazy humidity too... yikes!

This is a great suggestion!

But yes, 100 degrees is a little toasty for the three week olds.
Leave the fan on, and spray a bit of water over them (we do this in the summer :lol:) and make sure the water is changed regularly, as it tends to get quite warm as the day goes on.

I had to put a fan in the coop cause it is really hot in there! I think they liked it since they piled up to get in front of it at night to sleep

Check on them last night, the three week olds were in the coop, piled under the red light... so I left it on for the night and this morning turned it off. Checked the water and opened the chick door so they can get into the run where the fan is on.

This weeks arrivals. The far end of the brooder was about 90 around midnight, the wee ones were spread all over the place. This morning I found DH had a working window AC and turned it on and left the red light on. Been emptying the dehumidifier twice a day, the babies keep it so moist?

Will check again in a hour or so and see how the are holding up. I love the frozen bottle of water idea and popped a couple in the freezer. Also will take a spray bottle down when I check on everyone. Thanks for the suggestions.

Off chickens, but we moved the 4 month goats and nannies to the pasture last weekend, they have a spring, lots of trees and the pole barn to laze away the day, but they look so wilted out there. The barn would be much hotter since there are no shade trees but I still feel guilty.

Check on them last night, the three week olds were in the coop, piled under the red light... so I left it on for the night and this morning turned it off. Checked the water and opened the chick door so they can get into the run where the fan is on.

This weeks arrivals. The far end of the brooder was about 90 around midnight, the wee ones were spread all over the place. This morning I found DH had a working window AC and turned it on and left the red light on. Been emptying the dehumidifier twice a day, the babies keep it so moist?

Will check again in a hour or so and see how the are holding up. I love the frozen bottle of water idea and popped a couple in the freezer. Also will take a spray bottle down when I check on everyone. Thanks for the suggestions.

Off chickens, but we moved the 4 month goats and nannies to the pasture last weekend, they have a spring, lots of trees and the pole barn to laze away the day, but they look so wilted out there. The barn would be much hotter since there are no shade trees but I still feel guilty.
I'm getting goats in 2 week, though they were supposed to be here last weekend... I put it off to construct a decent shelter under the trees: my biggest fear is the heat for them too... shade is all I know to cool them by. Do you have any other tricks for goats??

We have had goats for just over two years, so we are still learning. Our goats have been out in the pasture with the horses. They have lots of trees for water and a natural spring for drinking and cooling off. We also have a pole barn with a couple of fans to help. We brought the nannies up to the barn this February when they were close to kidding and have just been moved everyone out to the pasture. Theydid pretty good today, the billie, nannies and the kids along with the horses were all hanging out at the pole barn.

I've got a couple of water bottle in the freezer for tomorrow's heat. Thanks for that advise

Thanks for sharing! I am so excited about the goats! (still in love w/ my chickens tho)
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom