Heated Dog Bowl

danamillette

Songster
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
Northern Wisconsin
I just saw a heated dog bowl at a local department store. If I had this elevated at head level, would if work for my chickens and be safe? It was around $15.00 I believe. My girls are grown, no chicks.

..or you can use it as is. Mine is from Farm Innovators, 1.5 gallon and I love it. Cord has a wire guard to protect from chewing/pecking.
In this photo, it's on a patio block atop 3 cinder blocks.
12 hens use about 1 gal in the morning and 1 gal at night, more or less, including splashing.
Dump the residue into a catch bucket, wipe out easily, refill with fresh water, Voila!

Last edited:
I have 3 and love them. It's so easy to carry a few gallons of water out to fill them versus trying to take a heated 3 gallon waterer apart in the cold to fill.

Highly recommend this for cold weather.

oops! I think i put this in the wrong place. Anyway, thanks!! I was so excited when I saw the darn thing. Sheesh, are chickens all I think about??? I was just worried about them jumping in it or something. I am sure I will need to clean daily, but just sounds no much nice to simply carry some fresh water out rather that thawing several times a day.

D.gif

OMG!! I HAVE FINALLY SEEN THE LIGHT!!! HALLE LAAA LUUU YA!!!
Well actually I read ......mtnhomechick's answer....
Talking about making my life easier....It certainly would be alot very' easier bringing water to the coop instead of bring water container to the house every visit !!and then bringing it back.hoping it wont fall apart.... Starting that tonight ! I'll put my plastic waterer away and just use the heated water bowl.....
Merci buckets ! from me and my girls

I have a small one in my portable coop/run, and after having a bantam cochin try to nest in it (oops), I started turning over a small baking dish (mini creme brulee dish) in the middle of it to keep them from climbing in. It does work, just make sure you leave enough cord to dump it when it gets dirty.

I am tempted to run an extension cord out to the coop and get one myself. My chickens already drink out of a dog dish (their preference - not mine) but with the cold were having it freezes over by three pm. I might try one of those with a dish in it - I also have a banty cochin that likes to try and lay in it - she has had several blow dries this winter. But she is the only one out of 17 chickens who does it....

Back
Top Bottom