Heated water dish (or other methods) reviews wanted!

Has anyone used a heated dog bowl? I've noticed at Murdoch's they are considerably cheaper. I'm wondering about potential drawbacks to this...

I haven't used one but have read other members mention them as being helpful. That's what I plan to use as my fallback. Will probably have to order one online as we don't have any in the few stores we have around here.

I suppose with the dog bowl if a chicken stands on the lip it may flip the whole thing. Just a thought. Also the volume is less so if you have a large flock it might not be enough water.

Has anyone used a heated dog bowl? I've noticed at Murdoch's they are considerably cheaper. I'm wondering about potential drawbacks to this...

Yes. I do, and they work wonderfully well even during awful cold snaps. (I get mostly rain in Oregon where I live, but each winter we usually get 2 or 3 weeks of horrible cold, below freezing, sub freezing weather).

I bought 2 cheaply off of Amazon (one for the first winter, then bought another the second winter because I liked the first so much. They have lasted years.)

I got these.
https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovat...id=1505772245&sr=8-1&keywords=heated+dog+bowl

I suppose with the dog bowl if a chicken stands on the lip it may flip the whole thing. Just a thought. Also the volume is less so if you have a large flock it might not be enough water.

I've never had one flip. I've had birds (smaller pullets) roost on a filled bucket without flipping (however I have had younger chicks drown in them...so beware).

I keep 2 for my flock of 15 to make sure everyone has access. They are easy to set up. Shut off at the correct temp. Only come on when they need to. Easy to kick over and then fill. I love them.

LofMc

Yes. I do, and they work wonderfully well even during awful cold snaps. (I get mostly rain in Oregon where I live, but each winter we usually get 2 or 3 weeks of horrible cold, below freezing, sub freezing weather).

I bought 2 cheaply off of Amazon (one for the first winter, then bought another the second winter because I liked the first so much. They have lasted years.)

I got these.
https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovat...id=1505772245&sr=8-1&keywords=heated+dog+bowl

Thanks for mentioning which specific heated bowl you use. I was just looking at Amazon and they have quite a few to choose from.

I only have 5 girls so I think that size would be good.

Thanks for mentioning which specific heated bowl you use. I was just looking at Amazon and they have quite a few to choose from.

You could always put a brick or large stone in the bottom if you were worried they might flip it. It would take up water space but worth it instead of having a flooded then frozen coop.

I only have 5 as well, which is one reason I was considering the dog bowl option. My girls are not free range and size of the water container is definitely a factor. I want to give them enough water and take up as little of the run as I can.

That's the one I got at TSC. Glad to hear your experience hasn't been awful with it.

It has worked great. Been really durable here. I have it on a cinder block and they've knocked it over repeatedly. (Jumping from the roost to the top of it) It's beat up bit doesnt leak and has never burst open. It's a little bit of pain to fill at times and the handle scares me a little. It's not cracked or anything but seems so flimsy. It does spill a little water when you flip it but if you've ever used other bottom fill waterers you know it going to happen. It's super easy to clean.

Back
Top Bottom