Heater too big for brooder?

sarahfvosz

In the Brooder
May 3, 2018
Western NY
So I didn't think this through..

I have a clear tote for a brooder (for 4 chicks) and bought an 11X30 sweeter heater (to use in brooder and then coop).

But the heater is longer than the brooder. Ideas on how to set it up? I'm thinking maybe stand it up on it's end, so just 11" width is mounted along the side of the brooder? Don't want overheated chickies.

IMG_9986.jpg

So what do you think about standing it upright so that only the short end will be at one side of the brooder?

The drawing is terrible but this is what I mean-
IMG_9991.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9991.jpg
    IMG_9991.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 0
For 4 chicks? When this will be the only time I'll be brooding them maybe ever? Hardly seems worth it when I'm sure I can hack something.

They will quickly out grow that container before ready to be off heat so actually a bigger Brooder is needed...

Just confused because I've seen many pictures of chicks in smaller totes and I read that they need 1/4sf space each at first and then 1/2sf each from 4-8weeks. They will have over 1sf each in this container.

Thanks red horse ranch, maybe that will work better.

Could we perhaps put them in the coop earlier than usual if we have the sweeter heater set up? It will be well-insulated and draft free.

Just confused because I've seen many pictures of chicks in smaller totes and I read that they need 1/4sf space each at first and then 1/2sf each from 4-8weeks. They will have over 1sf each in this container.

Could we perhaps put them in the coop earlier than usual if we have the sweeter heater set up? It will be well-insulated and draft free.

I think your brooder space calculations are off. Some people double space per chick a week so by week 4 that's 2 sq ft per chick. So yes that tote's going to feel small pretty soon. Also it MUST be kept covered in some fashion as the chicks will hop or fly out, so having the heater sticking up on the side is going to be an issue there.

What you could do is simply brood inside the coop. If you already have older chickens you'll want to fence off a safe area inside for the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom