Heating pad for weak duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by beneduck14, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. beneduck14

beneduck14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA
    Hi! So I have a weak-ish duckling that hatched 4 days ago. It imprinted on me and won't stop peeping. My heat bulb burned and all I have is a heating pad. Would a heating pad set LOW with paper towels wrapped around work? With it taking 25% of the brooder box so it can escape from heat. My room isi about 70 degrees and it shivers with a tiny heat bulb but gets quiet with a heating lamp.

2. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    You might be able to take a thick towel and double fold it over the heating pad to keep the little one from getting burned. Even on low, a heating pad can burn if you can't get away from it.

3. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Are you not able to run out and get a replacement? I agree the heating pad/towel idea could work, but only if it's a backup while you go get another lamp! :p

4. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    Agreed. Get that replacement heat lamp ASAP!

5. beneduck14

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA
    Unfortunatly, I found my duckling dead this afternoon. Just this morning, her health dropped so suddenly and I still don't know what has killed her. Can ducklings get overfed? I'm so depressed [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  6. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    There are a million things that can do it, I'm afraid...did you ever replace the heat lamp? If not, she may have simply frozen to death. :/ I'm sorry for your loss.

7. 18angovem

18angovem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Heating pads can cause trouble..... They have heat spots that can burn the duckling and sometimes dont get hot enough for the duckling. Also the heat pad would have to be exactly the right temp because it would not release temp into the air easily. The only time I have ever used heat pad on ducklings was when I took my week old duckling on a two hr drive to my grandmas house because she was ill and I wrapped the heat pad in towels so that there wasnt any hot spots and only used it for 2 hrs......

8. beneduck14

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA
    Yes they can and I had to learn it the hard way. Although I did wrap it with a towel, I should have replaced the heating bulb. Lesson learned for future hatchlings [​IMG]

9. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    You....you never replaced the bulb?! Oh dear god, why?

10. beneduck14

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA
    Oh no no, it was living just one day without the bulb and I was about to get it replaced on the day the bulb broke but it was too late..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by