Heating the Chicken coop in Winter.. Any suggestions

Pics
Quote:
That's what I use when the temp dips down below freezing (which is not often, so our flock never gets a chance to acclimate). It's a DeLonghi radiator I picked up at Lowes.

32217_heater.jpg

I run it at its lowest setting and it never gets too hot to touch, but it keeps my 8' x 8' insulated coop comfortably above freezing even on nights that dip into the teens.

I used a kerosene cabin heater on low in my coop last year to keep it just above freezing. It was in the main hallway where the chickens couldn't get near it, but the dust collecting on it MUST be cleaned off once/twice a day otherwise it becomes a fire hazard.

I have seen/heard various thoughts on this. I'm anxious to see how our chickens (and eggs) fare. We built our coop with vents in the eaves - cold will definitely come in, but we had heard that was healthier for the chickens to have vents than to be cooped up with none.

Quote:
I agree. If you keep the coop above freezing what a shock it is for the chickens to go out into sub zero temps in the morning.

This isn't Michigan but it does get below zero here about a week each winter. None of my coops are insulated and the windows are always open and I've never lost a bird.
Just because we're cold doesn't mean the chickens are.
Mine relish 20 much more than 80.

are heaters for galvanized water dispensers a fire hazard? i havent heard anyone condemning them, but i am wondering...

Quote:
I have not used them but I have seen other people post that they should be placed on cement blocks. Fireproof but also above the shavings.

I live where its super hot which is super hard on birds worse than cold weather. However last winter was cold. The readings inside the coop were 19 degrees. Only thing I did was block the wind. The birds would not come out of the coop. It wasn't the cold it was the wind. Block the wind & they will do fine.

What is the best way to heat the chicken coop with a portable heater, Electric no gas. What is best radiant, Wall.. ext... I don't want propane or gas, Any suggestions on what will keep the chickens warm in the winter? now winter is far a for me but I want to stay on the Bright side!
Use a dog bowl for heating, create boxes to sleep in that are bordered by thin strips of wood, which act as a perch and a wall to keep the hay in, so you don't have poop in the food or water bowl. If it is too cold use a ceramic lamp( last a long time), but KEEP THE COOP VENTILATED! If your coop is not properly ventilated it can cause frost bite and disease from the dampness. For a run look for used tin roofing for the top.

Last edited:
a red heat lamp :)
but for the waterer, i saw a few ideas.
in an empty cookie tin, put a light bulb and it heats! and a cinder block with a light in it i heard works well too :)

Back
Top Bottom