HEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!

I think squirrels may eat/ steal your eggs too. Or so I have heard. @oldhenlikesdogs do you know if this is so?
We're both in Wisconsin and I have never heard of it here, but who knows. The red ones are little devils so I wouldn't put it past them.

I do not believe they are red squirrels. They seem to be your run of the mill standard grey squirrel. We have a small family of them that live in the trees about ten to twelve yards away from the current run. Personally I don’t mind them. But I still want to make sure my chickens are safe. Prior to building this run, the chickens were semi free range and coexisted with the squirrels just fine. I don’t want to depose them if there’s no relevant need to.

So I bought a new home on some property… not a whole lot, but enough for what I want to do with my remaining years, and keep in mind chickens were part of the plan. …at least eventually. well the last owner didn’t take his birds with him and now they are my problem. I’m in over my head…
hey buddy don't worry, it'll all work out in the end. good luck from a fellow backyard chicken lover!

I do not believe they are red squirrels. They seem to be your run of the mill standard grey squirrel. We have a small family of them that live in the trees about ten to twelve yards away from the current run. Personally I don’t mind them. But I still want to make sure my chickens are safe. Prior to building this run, the chickens were semi free range and coexisted with theE squirrels just fine. I don’t want to depose them if there’s no relevant need to.
Excellent point.

I like both ideas.
Get a dog, make sure it won't bother the chickens. Let it free range with the birds. Dogs like chicken poo. The dog will wander around with the chickens, eating their poo. The dog will also poo where the chickens do. Predators will smell the dog poo and stay away, thinking that the dogs are there to protect the chickens. This is what works for me!

My dogs are hit and miss with our chickens, one could care less about them the other wants to eat them, I'd keep that in mind when it comes to getting a dog.

Squirrels can be a bit of a pest, but as far as my experience not all that harmful to the chickens themselves. They are often there to snatch some chicken food like they raid other bird feeders.

My friends chickens are vicious little raptors and tend to kill any squirrels that get into their run. Mine just ignore them, but they don't come by often for chicken food as I have fruit trees they steal from most of the time instead.

It sounds like you getting a handle on things, just stay calm and kept on dealing with one thing at a time until you feel like you know what you're doing.

Back
Top Bottom