Thunter1317

Chirping
Mar 25, 2019
Washington, MO
Hello everyone! My name is Tania and I live in Washington, MO. I have been wanting to raise backyard chickens for a few years now and finally decided to just do it! We got our first flock this past Saturday ( 2 RIR, 2 Ameracaunas, and 1 buff Orpington). So as of right now we have 5 babies.

I am full of questions but I am so excited to raise these girls (I hope anyways). I am mostly looking forward to the reward of having fresh eggs in return for loving and caring for these beautiful birds.

I am a licensed massage therapist and a holistic health coach. I am married to journeyman lineman and have 2 young children (5 yrs and 19 months). We live in 11.5 areas in rural Washington, MO and also have 2 heelers and 2 barn cats.

We love the outdoors, hiking, biking, UTV riding, running, camping, and boating.

I'm new to the whole chicken thing so I stumbled upon BY through a Google search to see if there would be pictures to show age progression in chicks and if I'd be able to better see if I have ended up with 5 hens or if I actually ended up with a rooster in the mix, even though they were all labeled as pullets. Thanks for having me and I look forward to this group!

Attachments

• 20190324_155904.jpg
    20190324_155904.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190324_155925.jpg
    20190324_155925.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 4
Hi Tania. I'm Tonya! Welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
The sexing guarantee for pullet chicks is typically 90% accurate. You never know if you're one of the ones who ends up with a male!
If you do end up with a cockerel, you'll want to be very careful with him around your little ones.
Have you got your coop and run all set and ready to go?
Have fun with those babies!

Last edited:
No, I do not have my coop and run set up yet. I am planning to do that in the next few weeks. I'm not to certain of their ages but my BO looks like it is at least 2 to 3 weeks old and the rest were a new shipment to the store last Tuesday so...
Uh oh! I would not delay AT ALL on getting the coop and run built.
These little girls grow FAST! I had to get mine out of the brooder by 5.5 weeks. We were all much happier when they were in their coop.

No, I do not have my coop and run set up yet. I am planning to do that in the next few weeks. I'm not to certain of their ages but my BO looks like it is at least 2 to 3 weeks old and the rest were a new shipment to the store last Tuesday so...
Hi Tania. I'm Tonya! Welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
The sexing guarantee for pullet chicks is typically 90% accurate. You never know if you're one of the ones who ends up with a male!
If you do end up with a cockerel, you'll want to be very careful with him around your little ones.
Have you got your coop and run all set and ready to go?
Have fun with those babies!

Back
Top Bottom