Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Roo

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Joetothemo

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2017
Hello All

This bird came to us as a chick from my daughter's Kindergarten class. I know it is a very roosterly pose, but the normal posture is far more horizontal than this.

Important to note, this chicken has a very obvious black pea comb, no sign of wattle, black beak, eyes, feathers, feet and comb. Everything is the blackest of black (Thus the name: Midnight).

IMG_4091.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3958.JPG
    IMG_3958.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Looks like the BSL pullets I have hatched. Their combs have stayed black until they start laying, then as the combs grow, the black is replaced with red. with all those black feathers, I'm not sure if I'm seeing pointed saddle feathers or not. How old is this bird? Where did the eggs come from?

Because of the comb I would also go with sumatra. Unless one of it's parents was a Ayam ciema or svart hona but still has wrong comb for them.

Looks like the BSL pullets I have hatched. Their combs have stayed black until they start laying, then as the combs grow, the black is replaced with red. with all those black feathers, I'm not sure if I'm seeing pointed saddle feathers or not. How old is this bird? Where did the eggs come from?
I can't speak for the egg source. But the chick is 6 weeks in the perched photo. Maybe 4-5 weeks in the grazing photo

If it helps at all, it is our flightiest chick. (S)he loves to flutter around and has a nice temperament. Not the lead in the pecking order, somewhere in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom